Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ancient Sounds Stored in Pottery?

1. Feb 25, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am at a complete disadvantage on this one. I have seen this idea toyed with on the X-Files but have no idea if there is any validity to it whatsoever. The basic idea is that as the pottery is made, sounds could translate directly into the pottery due to vibrations acting on the wheel, tools used, etc.

Unknown Country [a highly dubious source IMO]
    http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=5153

has linked this French TV blip which seems to confirm that the claim is made, that a real archaeologist has obtained ancient sounds stored in pottery -
    http://www.zalea.org/article.php3?id_article=496

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok ok hold on... let me telecharge the video?

I still dont understand what's going on here.

4. Feb 25, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

telecharge? Sorry, you lost me.

Is this pengwuin humor again? :biggrin:

5. Feb 25, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I see it. What does that do?

6. Feb 25, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

ok telecharge is the audio of the video. The one above it is the actual video.

Are they saying that the pottery is acting like a vinyl record???

7. Feb 25, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's the basic idea - that using modern technology we can now extract the information buried in the clay.

8. Feb 25, 2006 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

9. Feb 25, 2006 #8
    Any time-variant developing media can potentially record audio influences, BUT, audio signals such as from talking are very low-power, and unlikely to substantively influence a given developing media without a specific, sensitive apparatus to "imprint" the signal.
    I see nothing in ancient pottery making, even on a rotaional wheel, that would provide sufficient intervention to "record" ambient pressure waves apart from the artisans finger/tool pressure.
    COULD one make a pottery developing experiment that WOULD record ambient sound waves? Sure, but in order to do so one would have to utilize techniques unavailable or unwanted by the early artisans.

10. Feb 25, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well well, Mr Strieber earns a Brownie point.

http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=5155

I wonder if he learned about it here. :biggrin:

However, X-Files doesn't usually create the ideas seen on the show, so it would seem that this idea has been around for at least four or five years.

IIRC, in the show, the words of Jesus were recorded in clay as he called Lazareth to rise from the dead. :biggrin:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  11. Feb 27, 2006 #10
    Is that your way of saying you are the alert reader who informed him it was a hoax?

12. Feb 27, 2006 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, wasn't me. :biggrin:

13. Feb 27, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, I should have said that I think the X-Files mentioned is what I saw four or five years ago. It would be interesting to find the origin of this concept.

14. Feb 27, 2006 #13
    ive seen this x-files episode yesturday. and ive seen this done on lots of other shows. CSI included.

I dunno if its true or not.

15. Feb 27, 2006 #14

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's been rattling around in the Sci-Fi genre since the fifties, probably long before that --- like, since Edison.

16. Feb 27, 2006 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! Well, I guess that shouldn't be surprising in that the basic idea is obvious enough.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  17. Mar 2, 2006 #16

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  18. Mar 3, 2006 #17

-Job-

Science Advisor

Awesome.
    [edit] so it's a hoax. French...

19. Mar 3, 2006 #18

http://tenser.typepad.com/tenser_said_the_tensor/2006/02/pottery_recordi.html

I soooo groaned when I saw this episode. The whole show lost all credibility.

20. Mar 3, 2006 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

THAT's when it lost credibility? :rofl:

I was shocked into disillusionment when I heard Grissom utter the following phrase:

"Well, terminal velocity is 9.8m/s..."

And apparently, in another ep, he pulled a fish out of a db's throat - a fish that was clearly at-a-glance a Betta (the third most recognizable fish in the animal kingdom), saying they would have to do forensic tests to identify it! Whereupon he proudly proclaimed "Betta Splendens". Way to know you stuff, Gus...

I am actually in the process of developing a website called Gus Grissom is not God's Gift.
    I would be interested in any other eps wherein he makes outlandishly dumb mistakes. (Really.)

21. Mar 3, 2006 #20

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Is you calling Gil Gus part of the joke? If not, I think it's pretty funny. :biggrin:

Incidentally, that quote was from the other one, Language Log.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?