Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ancient Tibetan Monk mummifies himself without material aids

1. May 19, 2004 #1
    Has anyone heard about the Tibetan Monk who is remarkably preserved (mummified) without anyone mummifying him using material things e.g. bandages, ointments, removal of organs etc...

He seems to be in a meditating position.

A programme about it is showing right now on Channel 5 (UK).

Has any1 heard about it?
    What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I saw the story on Discovery channel quite a while ago. He mummified himself by deep meditation, finally drinking very salty water that aided in the preservation by dehydrating and killing the microflora..

4. May 19, 2004 #3
    Silly duffer, wasn't he?

5. May 19, 2004 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

that was my dad.

6. May 19, 2004 #5
    I saw the program too on Discovery but I don't think there was any mentioning of drinking salty water. The conclusion drawn after carbon testing and consulting high ranking monk was that it was commonly for monks 1300(?) years ago to practise a kind of highly esoteric meditation for the sole purpose of dedicating the merit to the well being and the relief of pain and suffering of people. A truly altrustic act.

There use to be hundreds of mummies like that in Tibet but they were all destroyed by the communists in China (together with over 6,000 libraries and not to mention numerous other monstrous act). The subject mummy manages to survive because it is located within the border of India.

Namo Amitabha.

7. May 20, 2004 #6

jimmy p

Gold Member

Didnt he eat tree bark from some kinda tree (well duh) that had natural preservatives in it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?