Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

And another one bites the dust

1. May 1, 2015 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Mysteries at the museum, on the Travel Channel started out discussing the history of items at museums. It was interesting and supposedly factual. Last year they added "Mysteries at the Castle" which had interesting stories/myths about old castles.

Ok, now they added "Mysteries at the National Parks", sounds innocent enough, interesting, so what are the shows about? CONSPIRACY THEORIES, GHOSTS and UFOS.

Why not?

Tonight
    and

Well, no good show will last long.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2015 #2
    Only got so many ideas. Once the ideas run out they go for a cash grab and get out.

4. May 1, 2015 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

So sad, surely there was more true history to tell. :frown:

5. May 1, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but they are not interested in telling history, they're interested in making a buck and the audience for actual history is clearly WAY lower than that for trash stuff like "reality TV" and total nonsense like "Ancient Aliens".

I've seen various reports (no citations and I can't vouch for their accuracy but they seem depressingly likely) that something like 40% of the people in America believe in angels and/or ghosts, and/or aliens, and in most cases all three.

6. May 2, 2015 #5
    I'm watching it now. Horrible.

It really sucks because there are probably tons of good national park stories that are rooted in reality.

7. May 2, 2015 #6
    I bet, a 100G budget, lots of scenes in the dark, eyewitness reports from actors playing real people, and some eerie music and lights.
    And to top it off, some fact filled commentary, or so they say.

If I recall, there is a site where you can watch paint dry ( and if there isn't, there should be ) for those who want more intelectual stimulation.

Ah ha
    found the Official site
    Still in working condition with fun for all.
    http://www.pattiann.com/webcam/paint.html

8. May 3, 2015 #7
    What kind of people would rather listen to that garbage than actually being educated with stuff that actually happened?
    But I guess the difference is that the majority of people who watch TV the most probably aren't the type to watch the movie "Lincoln", they're the type to watch "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter."

9. May 3, 2015 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Most people, sadly

10. May 3, 2015 #9
    :sorry:
    :blushing:
    I have to admit I saw that movie and got a kick out of it :biggrin: - the wild imagination was intriguing.

Those others though give me the :sleep:after I :headbang:and go :oldruck:.

11. May 3, 2015 #10
    The thing is, Mysteries at the Museum, Castle, Monuments, isn't history. You don't particularly learn any history from the stories. They're trivia, footnotes, and the main appeal of the show(s) is their sensational nature. You have ax murders, missing treasure, hoaxes, bold thefts, swindles, and high adventure. It's pretty low brow stuff. Regardless, it's at least stuff that really happened, and the fact it really happened sustains your interest. This National Parks thing is pure bunk from start to finish.

12. May 4, 2015 #11
    "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter."

That was a damn good movie.

13. May 4, 2015 #12

wolram

Gold Member

I used to go ghost hunting just for fun but never saw any people said i scared them away:eek:

14. May 4, 2015 #13

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have heard of the expression "jumping the shark". What is sad is that from time-to-time you get these excellent shows,
    which get your hopes up, only to see such garbage afterwards.

15. May 4, 2015 #14
    I'd never heard that expression. I had to look it up. Too true.

16. May 4, 2015 #15
    I don't like soap opera, or movies with too many episodes, of which I tend to watch only the first few minutes and a few last ones then guess what happened the middle. So I can always enjoy the happy ends.

17. May 4, 2015 #16

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From Outer Space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook