Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

And here i always thought reader's digest was a respectable magazine!

1. Jul 25, 2003 #1
    in the august issue of reader's digest, the headline on the cover: "new evidence: life after death". comments folks? i think it's hilarious, not to mention hogwash, but of course i'll read the article and get back to you with what it says is the "evidence".

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2003 #2
    When I think of life after death, I'm not thinking of god, my grandparents and a big white light. I'm thinking that there are still many things in the universe that we do not fully understand. And it may be possible that our "consciousness" is transferred to an alternative form of existence-some type of matter/energy conversion. Maybe into an alternate dimensional plane- who knows? There may be things our current technology can't detect.

But hey, if dead is dead- I can accept that without pause.

4. Jul 25, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IMO, the perceived credibility of the bathroom bible has always been a lie. I don't know how it ever got the reputation that it enjoys. Of course, this time it could be true…. :wink:

I remember a lecture that I got from mom when I was about 16. She showed me a RD that explained how smoking pot will make you a rapist. She wanted to make sure I didn't smoke pot and become a rapist also.

I also read in RD that a black hole passed through the earth in 1908. This is what caused the Tunguska explosion. In the early 90s I read that aids [portrayed as the gay plague] would have killed us all by now. I have read much hogwash as such from RD. There has been one on the toilet my entire life - mom then wife...this is at least an appropriate forum for the magazine.

5. Jul 25, 2003 #4
    Smoking pot definitely doesn't make you a rapist. It may make you lazy, unmotivated, and hungry- but a rapist- nope

6. Jul 25, 2003 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yes I didn't mean to put that twist on things. I was pointing to the indefensible extremes in their reporting. The last time that I checked, we are not all dead from aids either.

7. Jul 25, 2003 #6
    2 words man- "positive reinforncement"

8. Jul 26, 2003 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I read your objection to my post I couldn’t answer fast enough.

9. Jul 26, 2003 #8
    Just wanted to point that fact out to the masses :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?