Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

And in comes the money

1. Mar 24, 2003 #1
    Hmph. I guess I'm just cynical, right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2003 #2
    and here i though we were helping the Iraqi people out of the goodness of our hearts.
  4. Mar 24, 2003 #3

Science Advisor

Nothing new, as this was announced publicly after action began. Initially a military government, followed by private US companies who will operate all goverment agencies until a democratic Iraqi goverment can take over. Did the Fucrench expect to be part of this? They'll be lucky to get some oil stained sand.

5. Mar 24, 2003 #4
    No. We are in the process of disarming a dangerous regime. It just so happens that in order to do this, we have to remove the regime. The beneficial side effect of removing the regime is that the Iraqi people will no longer be brutalized by it, and will be able to develop their own brand of self-governance.

Not that we expect it, but once our mission is complete, the Iraqi people ought to shower us with gifts of kisses and thanks for giving them a better life. After all, our blood is spilled just as their's.
  6. Mar 24, 2003 #5

Science Advisor

French, German, and Russian contracts that barter oil for weapons expertise and materials, will obviously not be honored.

7. Mar 25, 2003 #6
    Then why didn't the US ever try to obtain a UN resolution authorising the removal of the regime? There was no mention of this. I'll tell you why. Because it is against international law.

Did they ask for our help?
  8. Mar 25, 2003 #7

Sure, after we allow US companies to rape them blind, like they do worldwide, they should thank us?
  9. Mar 25, 2003 #8

If the Iraqis had been lining up along the streets waving little American flags when the US army moved in, I'd be inclined to agree with you. But as it is, I don't think the Iraq civilians are grateful that their homes and families are being bombed - especially when they didn't ask for it in the first place.

As for dangerous regime, North Korea had admitted to nuclear capability to the point of taunting the US. If any regime needs disarming and removing, it should be NK first. Now, if they only had oil as well...
  10. Mar 25, 2003 #9
    The UN authorized disarmament. Unfortunately, the UN was incapable of enforcing it. The coalition will now enforce the original UN mandate. The fact that the regime has to be torn down in order to do it is merely a side effect.

Yes many of them have. Many more, it is presumed, would like to but can't for fear they'll have their tongues cut out.
  11. Mar 25, 2003 #10

Staff: Mentor

Wow, could you come any closer to an outright lie? The only "homes and families" to be bombed are Hussein's. The US does not target civilians and no one even in Iraqi government has even suggested we have had any collateral damage like that.
  12. Mar 25, 2003 #11
    At least we'll kiss them first, which is something Saddam would never do. Besides, we won't be staying long.
  13. Mar 25, 2003 #12
    Don't bet on it...do you think any company will give up cheap labor, convenient oil, and the lack of environmental protection?
  14. Mar 25, 2003 #13
    When they think they can get away with celebrating, that is when the real threat to them is gone, they'll be partying like it's the Fourth of July.

What are you talking about? If you people can't stomach 50 casualties, how would you stomach the 250,000 that would die in a war with NK? That's simply not how that one will play out. I think your dread-locks are too tight!
  15. Mar 25, 2003 #14
    You act like the country is being autioned off. That is simply not true. It is once again the graciousness of this country being misunderstood.
  16. Mar 25, 2003 #15
    Are you serious? Do you simply not watch the news at all? Or is the news where you live very censored?

17. Mar 25, 2003 #16
    Alias...you define anything that the U.S. does as perfect and wonderful...which is the exact opposite of reality. I'm not the one who is gonna try to break through the years of your brainwashing.
  18. Mar 25, 2003 #17
    I found this at the site you linked to (news.com.au).

Iraqi civilian casualties: More than 200, according to Iraqi officials.

Now the question is...

Are YOU serious? Do you simply beleive everything you read without considering it's source. Or does the news where you live concern some other universe?

"...according to Iraqi officials." What a joke! When was the last time those guys told the truth?

Talk about a victim of propaganda. Get with it Adam!
  19. Mar 25, 2003 #18

1) I have actually seen film from within Baghdad, it is played constantly on the news. Lot sof destroyed civilian buildings, many dead and wounded in the hospitals.

2) Given that the USA is hitting Baghdad with missiles and bombs every night, and Baghdad happens to be a city (ie. a place full of civilians), and given that you seem to think anyone who suggests civilians might die when a civilian city is bombed is a victim of propaganda, I am beginning to get the impression that you're a moron.
  20. Mar 25, 2003 #19
    So the moderator says I'm brainwashed.

And now posters call me a moron.

Why don't you go hide under your beds, while my fellow countrymen, and many of yours, bravely sacrifice their lives defending your freedoms, and your peace.

And another thing, you call me names, which I believe is against the rules of this forum. So, I can only assume that the rules have changed. But I won't stoop to your level. What I will do though, is invite you to kiss my red, white, and blue ass.
  21. Mar 25, 2003 #20
    LOL...we prefer the word 'butt' if you don't mind.

You are really lacking in any sort of perspective, it is readily apparent. Whether you did it to yourself, or you had it forced upon you, is besides the point.

Oh, and hey, hero, when do you ship out for the gulf?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?