And the 2021 Nobel prize for Physics goes to...

• Thread starter Blackberg
  • Start date

Answers and Replies

DennisN
Gold Member
2020 Award
It's a hot topic, which is getting even hotter as the years go by.

Likes Wrichik Basu, dRic2 and Hamiltonian299792458
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
It's a hot topic, which is getting even hotter as the years go by.
It gets hotter and hotter in both metaphorical and literal sense.

Fascinating. As a chemistry student, I predict that the 2021 Nobel Prize for Chemistry will go to a biologist.

Here's the Physics Today article:
https://physicstoday.scitation.org/journal/pto

Hopefully, people will soon leave their biaises and treat Earth physics the same way as other physics application, i.e. with objectivity.

Many years ago, I had to leave this forum because of that problem (lack of objectivity on the issue).

berkeman
Mentor
Many years ago, I had to leave this forum because of that problem (lack of objectivity on the issue).
Please check your PMs. Thanks.

Borek
Mentor
Somehow I have problems understanding what was novel in Manabe's work:

Manabe, of Princeton University, developed a one-dimensional climate model to investigate the balance of incoming radiation from the Sun, IR from Earth, convection in the atmosphere, and the latent heat of water vapor. His 1967 framework verified that carbon dioxide was the primary source of rising global temperatures.

To me it sounds like modeling of a greenhouse effect. Trick is, as far as I am aware it was already done in 19th century. Could be his model was much more detailed, could be I am misreading the statement, could be the statement is unfortunately vague or too general, but something doesn't compute.

Likes russ_watters
Two people share half the prize for climate models, the other half goes to Parisi. Climate is probably just a better publicity generator than "theory of disordered materials and random processes."

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I think that the prize was awarded for the techniques that they developed for modeling complex systems, not the actual models themselves

Syukuro Manabe and Klaus Hasselmann “for the physical modelling of Earth’s climate, quantifying variability and reliably predicting global warming”

Giorgio Parisi “for the discovery of the interplay of disorder and fluctuations in physical systems from atomic to planetary scales
My emphasis.

Last edited: