And the best job in America is

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Best Job in the World offering crashes web site.
Demand for "best job in the world" crashes website
Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:34am EST

SYDNEY (Reuters) - The chance to be the caretaker of a tiny tropical island in Australia has sparked so much interest around the world that a rush of applications crashed the website advertising the post.

The job, which offers a salary of $105,000 to spend six months on the Great Barrier Reef island of Hamilton, has been inundated with hundreds of thousands of prospective candidates.

An official from the state of Queensland, which is offering the position, said the job was created as an antidote to the global economic slump and was being advertised in 18 countries including the United States and China.

Local media said technicians had to restore the website (www.islandreefjob.com) after it could not cope with the volume of interest and crashed for several hours. Some sections are still not up and running.

Duties for the so-called "best job in the world" include feeding ocean fish, cleaning a pool and collecting deliveries of mail that arrive by plane.

The successful candidate will have to go scuba diving, snorkeling and hiking and enjoy at least 25 nearby island resorts. Thrown in is a luxury three-bedroom home and transportation to and from the island.

No skills, nor experience is needed, and there is no age requirement. The job starts in July.

(Writing by Miral Fahmy, editing by Dean Yates)
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE50D15K20090114

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Would it be unreasonably cynical of me to think that some PR guy at the Oz tourism office just earned themself a bonus?

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
You do to become an Australian as well - but we just left that bit in to annoy them!
One only needs to pass the Vegemite test to become Australian. :biggrin:

turbo
Gold Member
I can't become an Aussie because eating Vegemite or Marmite would kill me within the hour. Probably a good thing, because trying to fly "home" would kill me due to adverse reactions to fragrance chemicals before I ever got out of the US.