And, the Scream er isLeon Black

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, Leon Black, co-founder of investment firm Apollo, has purchased Edvard Munch's pastel version of "Scream" for 120 million dollars. This was disclosed by the Wall Street Journal, who also mentioned Black's involvement in art patronage. Some may find it obscene that one individual has such wealth, but it is believed that the public will benefit from Black's willingness to exhibit his private collection at museums.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
And, the "Scream"er is..Leon Black!

Wall Street Journal disclosed today that the financier and well know patron of the arts, Leon Black, co-founder of the investment firm Apollo, bought Edvard Munch's pastel version of "Scream" for 120 million dollars.

That Leon Black is now the owner is a good thing, I believe, since he is heavily involved in art patronage, and the general public will most likely benefit from his willingness, from time time, to exhibit his private collection at museums.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304373804577521240470769420.html

Physics news on Phys.org

It's obscene that any individual has so much money they can spend 120 million on a painting. And I'll keep saying it till he buys something of mine.

zoobyshoe said:
It's obscene that any individual has so much money they can spend 120 million on a painting. And I'll keep saying it till he buys something of mine.
:biggrin:

1. Who is Leon Black?

Leon Black is an American billionaire businessman and art collector. He is best known as the co-founder, CEO, and chairman of the private equity firm Apollo Global Management.

2. What is the significance of "And, the Scream er isLeon Black"?

"And, the Scream er isLeon Black" is a reference to Black's purchase of the famous painting "The Scream" by Edvard Munch in 2012 for a record-breaking price of $119.9 million. It is often used to describe Black's status as a prominent art collector.

3. How did Leon Black acquire his wealth?

Leon Black acquired his wealth primarily through his career in private equity. He co-founded Apollo Global Management in 1990 and has since built it into one of the largest and most successful private equity firms in the world.

4. What other notable art pieces does Leon Black own?

In addition to "The Scream," Leon Black also owns several other notable art pieces, including works by Vincent Van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, and Andy Warhol. He is known for his extensive art collection, which is estimated to be worth over $1 billion.

5. What is Leon Black's educational background?

Leon Black received his undergraduate degree from Dartmouth College and his MBA from Harvard Business School. He also studied at the Harvard Law School, where he earned his Juris Doctor degree.

Back