Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

And These Are The Good Guys?

1. May 22, 2008 #1

Art

And These Are The Good Guys???

Why on Earth does the West which is so quick to condemn human rights abuses in other countries continue to pander to these sick Saudi despots.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7415290.stm

Incredibly the maid was originally sentenced to 79 lashes for making a 'false' accusation despite her employers admitting they had done it!!!

Saudi Arabia may well be the world's biggest supplier of oil but the West is also their biggest customer. It's about time the West used this leverage to force them to show at least a modicum of civilised behaviour.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was too cryptic for me...perhaps Art is better at crosswords.

And on a related note, Art, who are the "good guys" of the title? That has me confused too!

4. May 22, 2008 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Nevermind.

5. May 22, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The Saudis. Art was pointing out the troublesome nature of our relationship with Saudia Arabia.

6. May 22, 2008 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It isn't just about the oil, part of it is geography. Nevertheless, I agree that we should stop sucking-up to them and start putting pressure on them to become civilized. They aren't fundamentally better than Iran on that score (better in some ways, worse in others).

Have you seen the movie "The Kingdom"? Very good movie about a fictional terrorist attack (and the lack of help from SA in investigating it) on Americans in Saudia Arabia, reminsicent of the Khobar Towers attack.

7. May 22, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perfect world: we, the West, can just not care about the ME. I look forward to the day that we will GET OFF OIL!!!!

Idealistic, I know. But I think we have the will now, in the US, to seriously move in that direction.

8. May 22, 2008 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks - I'll put that movie on my NetFlicks list.

9. May 22, 2008 #8
    Oh, you have to see that movie its damn good. Dont rent it, just buy it.

10. May 22, 2008 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK. It's a subject I'm very interested in.

11. May 24, 2008 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Related news:
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/05/23/saudi.arrest/index.html

12. May 24, 2008 #11

Art

It is hard to understand the West's stance in general and the US's in particular to Saudi Arabia.

SA is a model of everything the US gov't claims to stand against. It's oppressive, racist, discriminatory, non-democratic, a breeding ground for fundamentalists and the world's major financial supporter of the terror groups the US is fighting. It's state religion Wahhabism is the most extreme of all forms of Islam.

SA were involved in 9/11 with most of the terrorists involved in the hijackings coming from there and the leader of their organisation Osama bin Laden is a Saudi national and his group was financed by Saudi business men

I can understand oil is important but I am sure given the will the US and the West could find a way to survive without Saudi oil perhaps by improving relations with other oil producing countries or by exploiting previously uneconomic sources which given the huge price increases in oil would now be viable though if real pressure for reform was applied through the UN I doubt it would need to come to that.

Bush was reported to have asked them during his recent visit to increase OPEC production and was given short thrift by the people the US keep in power there. What other country could snub the US president with such impunity??

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24660754/

I am genuinely puzzled as to why Saudi Arabia is treated as some kind of sacred cow :confused:

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  13. May 24, 2008 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the key is the bolded part - the royal family does not overtly finance terror groups. And that, if I may speculate, may itself be a direct result of US pressure. The US can hardly make a case for buddying up to SA if they were financing terror groups like Saddam was. But the US needs SA for the oil, so the easiest way to exert influence would be to require that there be no open financing of terrorism - it's a win-win situation for both sides.

But in support of US policy, I must add the the Saudi royal family is probably the only major dictatorial regime in modern history that has not been a recipient of US aid money.

14. May 24, 2008 #13
  15. May 25, 2008 #14

Art

Incredibly Saudi Arabia one of the richest countries in the world have indeed been recipients of US aid, both military and financial. It seems financial aid only stopped in 2007
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-07/16/content_349153.htm

Apparently Bush found ways to circumvent the house vote linked above but congress in 2007 seems to have closed the loopholes he used.
    http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N22191479.htm

16. May 25, 2008 #15
    You know what, I can answer to every post here and in other places but you know, I just don't care and don't have enough time....all i'm hoping is that one looks at one's self and one's accusations and judgments before making such irrational and rushed judgments.

The West is not the ideal civilized loving place you're promoting, and even if part of is so...think how it was made like this, and on what expense?...I love Europeans and real civilized Americans by the way, great people.

17. May 25, 2008 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you read the thread carefully? I don't see any assertion that the west is ideal. In fact, the point of this thread is to discuss hypocrisy in US/EU foreign policy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?