And who is your Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy character?

• Thread starter strangerep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fantasy
In summary, Greg started 2 threads about which sci-fi and fantasy universe you'd like to live in. Yet (curiously) I only see one thread about favorite sci-fi characters. So...It seems that people are more interested in discussing favorite sci-fi characters than favorite sci-fi universes. Greg's favorite character from a Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy mythos is The Grey Mouser, while his favorite character from a modern mythos is Faith.
strangerep
Science Advisor
Greg started 2 threads about which sci-fi and fantasy universe you'd like to live in. Yet (curiously) I only see one thread about favorite sci-fi characters. So...

Who is your favorite character from a Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy mythos?

My "ancient mythos" choice is: The Grey Mouser. (Can you guess why? :biggrin:)

My "modern mythos" choice is: Faith.

Curiously, one of Joss Whedon's favorite scenes in Angel is also mine. Guess which one?
(Although Spike wasn't my favorite character, James Marsters is far and away my favorite actor. His ability to portray totally different character types is brilliant -- he's like a modern Alec Guiness.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably have to say Boromir.

Kepler20f said:
Probably have to say Boromir.
Wow. I'd never have anticipated that choice. Why do you like Boromir? From the movie, or from the book?

Mostly the movie, as it brought a whole new depth to the character to see his facial expressions and the passion in his voice; and the heroism of his death was so much better than the book. But anyway, this article sums it all up for me (so I don't have to reinvent the wheel!) - just scroll down...
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-movies-that-followed-wrong-character_p2/

Thousands...Strider, Tom Bombadil* and Denethor from LOTR
Diomed, Palamedes, Dedalus and Prometheus from Greek myths
Odin, Loki and Baldr from norse myths
Black, Lupin and Luna from Harry Potter series
Isis and Thoth from egyptian myths
A ton others from other novels (Polgara, Bartaemus etc..), mangas and animes (L, Kurama, Shikamaru)...

*Holey socks, I love that song...

P.S. I don't agree with anything that cracked article says...it reads like someone writing just for the sake of trolling but this view is probably warped in view of the trash about Potter written above.

Anomander Rake, Icarium, Jaghut Tyrant ----> Malazan series
Prometheus----> Greek mythos
Kaladin, Dalinar, Hoid ----> Stormlight archive
Lan, Rand, Galad ----> WoT
Verity, Chade ----> Farseer Trilogy

Pug in Magician Apprentice/Riftwar series

Caramon and Raistlin Majere in Dragonlance series

Likes Battlemage!
Tyrion Lannister all the way

Elric.

Likes Bran
Oh, and if we're talking "modern" mythos, Wesley from Angel.

Dunk, from The Hedge Knight. Because he both keeps his vows and obeys his heart.

WannabeNewton said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drizzt_Do'Urden

I was absolutely obsessed with this character as a kid.
I escaped from the mental miasma/psychosis of D&D long ago -- shortly after Eclavdra had just recently made her first appearance. Was that before you were born? :biggrin:

For a while I was a bit fascinated by Eclavdra -- which is now a little embarrassing when I recall such ancient history.

Today, I'm rather surprised how much obsession for the Drow exists in many modern people (gamers, role-players, fantasy artists, novelists, etc).

strangerep said:
Was that before you were born? :biggrin:

Haha yeah, about 16 years before.

strangerep said:
Today, I'm rather surprised how much obsession for the Drow exists in many modern people (gamers, role-players, fantasy artists, novelists, etc).

I was always into fantasy characters that were assassins. The idea of stealth combined with a slick arsenal of black cloak, daggers, bow+arrows, and multiple swords was my most favorite character setup in stories and games. So when I started playing the Elder Scrolls I latched onto the assassin Drow type and eventually found myself not paying attention in any of my classes due to my fervent reading of R.A. Salvatore novels. Sweet nostalgia :)

Forgotten Realms definitely had the best characters, settings, and general lore.

Tarma and Kethry from the Vows and Honor series. Thier Granddaughter Kero is a close second.

Corwin of Amber
Benedict of Amber
Conan of Cimmeria

Last edited by a moderator:
Lord Julius from Cerebus.

Loki

Khatti said:
Corwin of Amber
Benedict of Amber
Conan of Cimmeria

Whoops! I forgot Duncan McCleod

Last edited by a moderator:
Morgana Pendragon
Morgause LeFay
Mordred
Aggravaine Dubois
Nimueh

Tom Bombodil
Fingolfin
Gorfindel
Dain the 1st (iron fist)
Gamling
Talos (Tiber Septim)

Corwin of Amber.

Galadriel. She's great in the books, but she rocks in the movies. It was a role Cate Blanchett was born to play. In my opinion, one of the highlights in the film Battle of the Five Armies is when she faces down Sauron and the Nine in Dol Guldur.

Likes James Holland
Rubidium_71 said:
Galadriel. She's great in the books, but she rocks in the movies. It was a role Cate Blanchett was born to play. In my opinion, one of the highlights in the film Battle of the Five Armies is when she faces down Sauron and the Nine in Dol Guldur.
Everybody I know looks upon her and despairs.

Likes Battlemage! and James Holland
Noisy Rhysling said:
Everybody I know looks upon her and despairs.
just like ozimandius

I'm not a fan of Harry Potter movies or books, but I'm a fan of Severus Snape!
I also like Dante from Devil May Cry 3 and 4, but the reboot Dante isn't as good.

P.S.
R.I.P. Alan Rickman

I like the Lily-Snape, but not the James-Snape. He was a dick to almost everybody, and being a covert hero doesn't really require that kind of subterfuge.

Miss McGonigle was cool.

Daenarys Targaryen and Arya Stark, from the Song of Ice and Fire novels by George RR Martin.

350px-MKomarck_DaenerysTheUnburnt.jpg

300px-Thaldir_the_Blind_Girl.jpg

Young victimized girls mature into powerful women in a post-apocalyptic world struggling with magic, dragons and seasons out of whack.

Last edited:
Likes Battlemage! and James Holland
"The smaller the girl, the bigger the kick-ass." Collected Sayings of River Tam.

Likes James Holland
Rubidium_71 said:
Galadriel. She's great in the books, but she rocks in the movies. It was a role Cate Blanchett was born to play.
Have you read the extended story of Galadriel? It's in "Unfinished Tales", iirc. It gives more insights into her flaws as well as her strengths. E.g., the reason she came to Middle Earth was because she yeared to order a realm of her own, without "tutelage" from the superior beings in Valinor. Her journey of several thousand years in Middle Earth are basically a story of how she gradually came to relinquish that hubris and eventually re-embraced humility in rejecting the One Ring.

Although Cate Blanchett was quite good, I always felt it was a shame that she hadn't read LoTR before starting the role. She never quite nailed the subtle contradiction between strength and vulnerability/sadness that was in the original Tolkien character.

Likes James Holland
Quite right, Noisy Rhysling, that's one of her best quotes -

"In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me, and despair!"

I can see a bit of the character's conflict in her behavior and what she says here. Also her statement afterwards about "passing the test" so she can diminish and go into the West instead of being tempted into taking the Ring of Power.

I have not read the Unfinished Tales. I guess I'll wait for the movie to come out. ;)

Likes James Holland
Gungnir, Zweihaender, and Excalibur may be. Know them mostly from video games.

Likes James Holland
blue_leaf77 said:
Gungnir, Zweihaender, and Excalibur may be. Know them mostly from video games.
Excalibur was a sword. it was the one in the stone that king Arthur pulled out.

James Holland said:
Excalibur was a sword. it was the one in the stone that king Arthur pulled out.

So is a Zweihander: its the modern name given to the heavy, two-handed swords used by the Landsknechte to break up enemy pike formations. Gungnir is Norse, it is also probably a mythic sword, I just don't know which myth.

Likes James Holland
<h2>1. What inspired you to create your Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy character?</h2><p>I am inspired by a combination of mythology, history, and my own imagination. I love to explore different cultures and time periods, and then add my own unique twist to create a dynamic and compelling character.</p><h2>2. What sets your Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy character apart from others in the genre?</h2><p>My character is distinctive because they have a complex and layered personality, with flaws and strengths that make them relatable and human. They also have a distinct backstory and motivations that drive their actions.</p><h2>3. How do you develop your Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy character's magical abilities?</h2><p>I carefully consider the rules and limitations of the magic system in my fictional world, and then I think about how my character's personality and experiences would shape their use of magic. I also draw inspiration from real-world mythology and folklore.</p><h2>4. Is there any symbolism or deeper meaning behind your Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy character's name and appearance?</h2><p>Yes, I often choose names and physical characteristics that have symbolic meaning related to my character's personality or journey. This adds depth and layers to their identity.</p><h2>5. Can you tell us about any challenges or obstacles you faced while creating your Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy character?</h2><p>One of the biggest challenges is making sure my character is unique and original, while still fitting into the established tropes and conventions of the genre. I also strive to avoid stereotypes and cliches, while still keeping my character relatable and engaging for readers.</p>

1. What inspired you to create your Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy character?

I am inspired by a combination of mythology, history, and my own imagination. I love to explore different cultures and time periods, and then add my own unique twist to create a dynamic and compelling character.

2. What sets your Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy character apart from others in the genre?

My character is distinctive because they have a complex and layered personality, with flaws and strengths that make them relatable and human. They also have a distinct backstory and motivations that drive their actions.

3. How do you develop your Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy character's magical abilities?

I carefully consider the rules and limitations of the magic system in my fictional world, and then I think about how my character's personality and experiences would shape their use of magic. I also draw inspiration from real-world mythology and folklore.

4. Is there any symbolism or deeper meaning behind your Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy character's name and appearance?

Yes, I often choose names and physical characteristics that have symbolic meaning related to my character's personality or journey. This adds depth and layers to their identity.

5. Can you tell us about any challenges or obstacles you faced while creating your Swords+Sorcery or Fantasy character?

One of the biggest challenges is making sure my character is unique and original, while still fitting into the established tropes and conventions of the genre. I also strive to avoid stereotypes and cliches, while still keeping my character relatable and engaging for readers.