Who was Andrew Breitbart and what impact did he have on the media landscape?

• News
  • Thread starter WhoWee
  • Start date
In summary, Andrew Breitbart, publisher, author, and provocateur, died of heart attack near his home in California. He left a wife and four children. His last words were of his excitement for the upcoming 2012 Presidential election. There are already accusations that Obama had him assassinated due to his opposition to the President.
WhoWee
Conservative blogger, author and publisher Andrew Breitbart died of a heart attack near his home in CA. Only 43, he left a wife and 4 children.
http://www.nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/03/andrew-breitbart-dead-at-43.html?imw=Y&f=most-viewed-24h5
"Breitbart leaves behind four young children and his wife, Susie. After working as an editor for the Drudge Report, he helped to launch The Huffington Post before going on to start his own websites, including Breitbart.com, Breitbart.tv, Big Hollywood, and Big Journalism. There, he made waves supporting the work of vigilante videographer James O'Keefe, who targeted ACORN and NPR. The Breitbart News Network raised a new $10 million round of funding a few months ago. Breitbart also appeared frequently on Fox News.

A New Yorker profile from 2010 described the blogger and provocateur as "tall and burly, with eyes the color of Windex, silver hair that he sometimes forgets is no longer blond, and jowls that he wobbles for emphasis when he wishes to express outrage. He is fond of saying that he has two modes of discourse: righteous indignation and puerile jocularity."

He favored profane language and adversity, telling The New Yorker that he'd love to spar with a liberal, both literally and figuratively. "I’d hate him, I’d fight him. He’d fight me, he’d get in some punches, I’d get in some punches. We’d drink some more. At the end of the day, we’d agree to disagree. And then I’d punch him again." He also saw the business potential in that particular brand of raucous conservatism. "[W]hen the entire media is structured to attack conservatives and Republicans, there is a huge business model to come in and counterbalance that," he said.

Breitbart favored shock tactics and welcomed enemies, and so perhaps it's appropriate that when news of his death first started swirling online, much of Twitter's first instinct was that either his site was hacked or that his death was a hoax. It's neither. Tellingly, Breitbart's Twitter bio reads, "Mild-mannered family guy," while his last message, from early on March 1, says, "I called you a putz cause I thought you were being intentionally disingenuous. If not I apologize.""

http://abcnews.go.com/US/andrew-breitbart-publisher-author-dead/story?id=15824337

IMO - they broke the mould with this guy. Breitbart was a colorful figure and like him or hate him - he was not boring.

He promised to be very active in the 2012 Presidential election - with the explicit goal of defeating President Obama.

Recently, he won an auction/contest to attend a private dinner with Bill Ayers and his wife Bernadine Dohrn, at their Hyde Park residence on Super Bowl Sunday. Breitbart attended accompanied by fellow Conservative Tucker Carlson and posted reports of their dinner.

Since that dinner, at the recent CPAC, Breitbart promised to share tapes of President Obama from his college years - with the claim it will help to further vet the incumbent candidate.
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-an...cpac-speech-i-have-college-days-obama-videos/

A spokesperson for the Breitbart organization claimed today the tapes would still be made public in the next few months.

Some may remember Breitbart from the Anthony Weiner fiasco or his work on the ACORN undercover "sting".

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/andrew-b...r-press-conference-takes-new-photo-questions/

RIP Andrew Breitbart.

Physics news on Phys.org
A statement posted on his website said that Breitbart died "unexpectedly from natural causes" this morning.
:frown: That's terrible! - and I can't see that being natural. The fact that it was unexpected (because he was 43) would seem to indicate that it was not natural.

My condolences to his wife and 4 children.

Astronuc said:
:frown: That's terrible! - and I can't see that being natural. The fact that it was unexpected (because he was 43) would seem to indicate that it was not natural.

My condolences to his wife and 4 children.

Apparently he's been coping with some heart issues.

WhoWee said:
Apparently he's been coping with some heart issues.
I read that - but then I have to wonder about the 'unexpected'.

My mom was a cardiac nurse on a critical care unit. Basically there is a history of issues prior to a crisis or death. It shouldn't be 'unexpected' because it is 'preventable'. This scenario is all too common - over the last 40 years that I've seen.

Astronuc said:
I read that - but then I have to wonder about the 'unexpected'.

My mom was a cardiac nurse on a critical care unit. Basically there is a history of issues prior to a crisis or death. It shouldn't be 'unexpected' because it is 'preventable'. This scenario is all too common - over the last 40 years that I've seen.

People on facebook and right-wing forums are already accusing Obama of having had him assassinated for exactly that reason.

Number Nine said:
People on facebook and right-wing forums are already accusing Obama of having had him assassinated for exactly that reason.

:rolleyes: That doesn't surprise me. So, so tired of conspiracy theorists always thinking there's a boogie man hiding behind every blade of grass.

Condolences to his family - four kids! Wow, I feel bad for them, and his wife.

Yeah well. It's not like you'll ever find out.

Number Nine said:

It's unfortunate that he passed at 43 - from natural causes related to his heart ailment.

http://campaign2012.washingtonexami...erals-celebrate-death-andrew-breitbart/403471

There are lots from the leftist-blogosphere whom are celebrating his death.

It's always funny to see that disliked conservatives are quickly (and easilly) called racists, homophobes, etc without any actual facts. Breitbart was one of the major voices in accepting GOProud at CPAC last year and is 'racist' because he brought down ACORN? pfft.

Unfortunately, this is all many people will ever read about Andrew Breitbart - and they'll believe it without a second thought. Disagree with the man's ideas - fine, but the ad hominem attacks are horrible and show the true colors of many.

mege said:
http://campaign2012.washingtonexami...erals-celebrate-death-andrew-breitbart/403471

There are lots from the leftist-blogosphere whom are celebrating his death.

It's always funny to see that disliked conservatives are quickly (and easilly) called racists, homophobes, etc without any actual facts. Breitbart was one of the major voices in accepting GOProud at CPAC last year and is 'racist' because he brought down ACORN? pfft.

Unfortunately, this is all many people will ever read about Andrew Breitbart - and they'll believe it without a second thought. Disagree with the man's ideas - fine, but the ad hominem attacks are horrible and show the true colors of many.

Yes, because Twitter comments are definitely the definitive source on liberal feelings on matters. Not like people on the internet tend to be a**holes anyway, oh no. It must be how the liberals think!

The only joke here is that you took this article seriously.

Andrew Breitbart's videos of Obama's college days are going to air tonight on Sean Hannity's program. It is puzzling to me. If they are "damaging" why not air them in mid October? Airing them now makes them "old news" come election day. When it comes to POLITICAL skills, the Republicans are not the brightest bulbs in the box.

Skippy

skippy1729 said:
Andrew Breitbart's videos of Obama's college days are going to air tonight on Sean Hannity's program. It is puzzling to me. If they are "damaging" why not air them in mid October? Airing them now makes them "old news" come election day. When it comes to POLITICAL skills, the Republicans are not the brightest bulbs in the box.

Skippy

Wow, that much-hyped video...much ado about nothing.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...ge-video-turns-dud-sparks-race-172252336.html

Interesting. I thought Obama's speech skills were the result of polishing as a politician. But it seems the guy is born with it. Excellent.

1. Who was Andrew Breitbart?

Andrew Breitbart was an American conservative author, commentator, and publisher who founded the news website Breitbart News. He was known for his conservative political views and his aggressive style of journalism.

2. When was Andrew Breitbart born?

Andrew Breitbart was born on February 1, 1969 in Los Angeles, California.

3. What was Andrew Breitbart's cause of death?

Andrew Breitbart died on March 1, 2012 at the age of 43 from heart failure caused by an enlarged heart.

4. What were Andrew Breitbart's political beliefs?

Andrew Breitbart was a staunch conservative and supported many right-wing causes, including limited government, free markets, and traditional values. He was also a strong critic of the mainstream media and advocated for alternative media sources.

5. What impact did Andrew Breitbart have on the media landscape?

Andrew Breitbart's influence on the media landscape was significant, as he was one of the first to embrace and popularize online news sources and citizen journalism. He also played a key role in promoting conservative voices and challenging the dominance of mainstream media outlets.