Softening 8mm Allen Key - Temperature & Annealing Process

• Thread starter Shedfull
  • Start date
In summary: Would it be possible to email you the information?In summary, an allen key can be softened by heating it to 900 degrees Celsius and then slowly cooling it.
Shedfull
Hi, would anyone know the temperature required to soften an 8mm allen key?

I want to machine the end and thread it, from what I can gather, I need to heat it, then let it slowly cool.

I have access to an electric muffle furnace, goes to 1200°C

I know I could use hex stock, but the allen key is just the right size.:smile:

Lee.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd have to pull out my tool steels reference at work tomorrow morning. You would most likely be fine getting above the transformation temperature (920C IIRC) and furnace cooling after that. The only drawback to this is that the entire wrench is going to be annealed.

Are you stuck on doing the machining yourself? We thread hardened shafts and tools all the time. It's not difficult if you have the right tools. Do you know if there is a thread grinding shop anywhere near you? They could do it and probably would not cost you too terribly much. Just a thought.

stuck on the machining

Hi, I'm machining the parts myself, with no budget, but lots of ideas &
theories.

I did a bit of googling and came up with a rough solution.

here goes,

If I do a spark test on the allen key, I should get an idea of the carbon content.

Knowing the carbon content gives me a starting point for the temp.

All I have to do then is find/work out the time the part should be soaked for
(1 hr/inch?)

Am I on the right track? if so this would be good for future ref.

Lee.

Yes. You're on the right track. Really, a small part like an allen wrench would be completely annealed in an hour. As far as the temp, I'll have to look that one up.

1. What is the purpose of softening an 8mm Allen Key?

Softening an 8mm Allen Key involves heating it to a specific temperature in order to make it more malleable and easier to work with. This is often necessary when the key has become too hard or brittle to use effectively.

2. What temperature should I use when softening an 8mm Allen Key?

The optimal temperature for softening an 8mm Allen Key is typically between 600-700 degrees Celsius. This temperature range allows the key to be heated enough to soften it, but not so much that it becomes too weak or damaged.

3. How long should I heat the 8mm Allen Key for during the softening process?

The length of time needed to soften an 8mm Allen Key can vary depending on factors such as the type of metal and the temperature being used. It is best to heat the key for a few minutes at a time and test its malleability before continuing. It is important to not overheat the key, as this can cause it to lose its strength.

4. Is it necessary to anneal the 8mm Allen Key after softening it?

Annealing is a process that involves cooling a heated metal in order to make it more ductile and less brittle. While it is not always necessary to anneal an 8mm Allen Key after softening it, it can help to improve its overall durability and longevity.

5. Can I reuse an 8mm Allen Key that has been softened and annealed?

Yes, an 8mm Allen Key that has been softened and annealed can be reused multiple times. However, it is important to monitor its condition and make sure it is not becoming too weak or damaged from repeated use. If it shows signs of wear and tear, it may be necessary to repeat the softening and annealing process.