How Do You Calculate the Angle of Inclination for a Slide?

• Thread starter chronie
  • Start date
In summary: The angle of inclination is found using the following equation: tan(\theta_i) = .12x – 1To solve for the angle of inclination, one would take the tan-1 of the ratio (.12x-1), which would give the angle of inclination.
chronie

Homework Statement

/ attempt

I have to find the angel of inclination. I have a slide forming a triangle. We measured two points in the slide a meter apart. those two points are 23cm in one point and 35cm in another. All together it has a height for 58cm. However, I have no clue how to find the angle of inclination. I know I should use either sin or tan but I don't know how I plug in the values

Attached is a picture.

much thanks,

Chronie

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/782/49775363zx5.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chronie said:

Homework Statement

/ attempt

I have to find the angel of inclination. I have a slide forming a triangle. We measured two points in the slide a meter apart. those two points are 23cm in one point and 35cm in another. All together it has a height for 58cm. However, I have no clue how to find the angle of inclination. I know I should use either sin or tan but I don't know how I plug in the value.

It is not too clear from the picture, but are the two lengths 23 cm and 35 cm elevations of points on the slide above the horizontal, and the two points are 1 m apart as measured along the horizontal?

Think about the relationship between tan [itex]\theta_i[/itex], where [itex]\theta_i[/itex] is the angle of inclination, and the legs of triangles with heights of 23 and 35 cm. If the 23 cm leg is at distance x from the vertex, i.e. where the slide intersects with the horizontal (ground, or reference plane), what is the distance to the 35 cm leg.

Think of similar triangles sharing a common horizontal base, vertex and hypotenuse.

So I should take the difference of distance between the two positions.

That gets me 12. Should I then make a triangle and use .12m as my hypotenuse and 1m as my other side and just take the tan inverse of that?

chronie said:
So I should take the difference of distance between the two positions.

That gets me 12 cm. Should I then make a triangle and use .12 m as my hypotenuse and 1m as my other side and just take the tan inverse of that?
Well, the 0.12 m would be the vertical leg and 1 m would be the other leg, but if one finds the tan-1 of the ratio (0.12/1), that would give the angle of inclination.

ok thank you Astronuc,

I'm new to my college physics classes and some easy things stump me!SOLVED

1. What is the concept of "Angel of inclination"?

The "Angel of inclination" is a metaphor used to describe the inner voice or intuition that guides us towards making choices and decisions that align with our values and purpose in life. It is often associated with feelings of inspiration, passion, and motivation.

2. How does the "Angel of inclination" affect our behavior?

The "Angel of inclination" can influence our behavior by guiding us towards actions that are in line with our values and purpose. It can also help us to resist temptations and make choices that are more beneficial for our overall well-being.

3. Is the "Angel of inclination" a spiritual or scientific concept?

The concept of the "Angel of inclination" can be interpreted in both spiritual and scientific contexts. Some may see it as a spiritual guide or higher power, while others may view it as a psychological phenomenon related to decision-making and motivation.

4. Can the "Angel of inclination" be developed or strengthened?

Yes, the "Angel of inclination" can be cultivated and strengthened through practices such as mindfulness, self-reflection, and setting clear intentions. By tuning into our inner voice and making conscious choices, we can strengthen our connection to our intuition and the "Angel of inclination."

5. How can we differentiate between the "Angel of inclination" and our own thoughts and desires?

The "Angel of inclination" is often described as a feeling of pull or inspiration towards a certain action or decision. It may feel different from our own thoughts and desires, which may be influenced by external factors or fears. By paying attention to our emotions and inner guidance, we can differentiate between the two and make choices that align with our true desires.