Anger Management: Tips to Feel Calmer & Relaxed

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Management
In summary, The author is describing techniques for managing anger. He recommends listening to others and analyzing their statements before responding, and using one's posture and thinking to loop the anger back to its producer. He also recommends going without caffeine to see if it makes a difference.
Lisa!
Gold Member
Ah I really need to break a glass or something like that to feel better but I'm afraid someone might step on it and get hurt!:devil: :grumpy:
what else can I do to feel calm and relax again?:mad: :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
You can shut your door ,,increase the volume of some audio and yell,scream ,pour out whatever you have in mind...Go mad,,Dance,,whatever you can think of!

by the way
there is a movie which goes exactly by that name...you can watch that!

It's night here and most of people are asleep.(too soon but they did anyway) GOD! I'm just thinking of what happens if I do any of that. I think all neighbours wake up in panic and surprise to see what the hell has happened to me.
Unfortunately I even can't find anyone around to shout at(yeah sometimes I tell them I need to shout at you otherwise I got mad...)I even can't sit while I'm typing this post...:grumpy:

Damn

Meditate - empty the mind of all thought.

Go pinch one of the sleepers' nose.
His reaction will relieve your present anger.

go to gym and work out, phatty :tongue2:

you'll be too tired to be angry

Come one Lisa!, I'm about to go hiking up on the cliff where the mountain lions hang out. Let's go. :smile:

hey Evo if you see medics intubating a patient on a hill with coyotes and bears chasing them on skateboards, take a few pics for me mmmk :tongue:

I have a fowl temper especially in the winter, I find ranting about my feelings about anything a good release, particulalry though in my case, I'm not angry about anything so that might not work. But by far in a way the best way to vent anger would be to throw yourself at nature like Evo recommended. Walk up a mountain then walk down a hill.

My temper is a bit unstable as well. I just listen to music or take a nap and it goes away for the most part.

Only time it stays is if it's relationship related or if it has to do with doing horrible on a midterm or something (basically academically related stuff). Relaxing music helps me a lot though.

Oh dear!:redface: I'm really ashmed of myself because of this thread. You know I tend to be very irretible when I've not got enough sleep or am very tired.
Sorry for the rant anyway...:blushing:

Evo said:
Come one Lisa!, I'm about to go hiking up on the cliff where the mountain lions hang out. Let's go. :smile:
That's exactly what I need!:!)

Reading about people being angry makes me angry. RAARG! :grumpy:

Lisa! said:
Ah I really need to break a glass or something like that to feel better but I'm afraid someone might step on it and get hurt!:devil: :grumpy:

I'm black belt in taekwondo. Most of the anger that can hit u comes through listning to what others have said. In martial arts we have two types of fighting strategies. One is called linear other is circular. In analogy with circular technique u can use your ears to first listen what other person has said...analyze it without delay... and then u utilize your posture and thinking to loop that anger back to its producer, without let him know...u can check it out, it is very lethal weapon.

It requires practice and experience to use this technique.

ElectroPhysics said:
I'm black belt in taekwondo.
Of course nobody dares make you angry...:uhh:

who dares wins

seven dears are together but when times come they leave 'each' other

For each of you who feel angry too much, stop and think: do you drink too much caffeine (e.g., coffee, tea, Coke/Pepsi), or perhaps get too much sugar (e.g., milkshakes, candy, etc.)? This could be affecting your mood without your knowledge.

ElectroPhysics said:
who dares wins
You mean if I dare I can win even against you?:uhh::smile:

Aether said:
For each of you who feel angry too much, stop and think: do you drink too much caffeine (e.g., coffee, tea, Coke/Pepsi), or perhaps get too much sugar (e.g., milkshakes, candy, etc.)? This could be affecting your mood without your knowledge.
Eh I just drink 4 or 5 cup of tea during the day.o:) That's not alot, is it?

Lisa! said:
Eh I just drink 4 or 5 cup of tea during the day.o:) That's not alot, is it?
Yes, that's a lot. You might try going without tea (at least the kind with caffeine) for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

For me it's a matter of putting the anger into context. Why are you angry? If I spend the day being angry, will that change anything? When I'm angry, who suffers from my anger? I try to keep these things in mind and allow myself to see the issues aside from the anger. This in turn helps me to simply turn it off; or really, to separate "it" from "me".

I nearly had a heart attack yesterday when it came to my attention that a minor shipping issue might seriously screw-up a project that I have been working on for the last four weeks - potentially damaging my relationship with one of my top three customers. When I felt that pumping to my brain and my heart started racing, I simply refused to get upset [okay, the poor girl at the factory might not agree, but I apologized]. After I hung up the phone, in my mind I insisted that this is not as bad as it seems; that somehow this will all work out, which it did. Things are almost never as bad as they seem.

Visualize what makes you angry...

Visualize it as a pillow you own(not a nice pillow, just a normal one).

Look at what you hate in the pillow...

THEN KILL THE PILLOW.

Meditate - empty the mind of all thought.

That, or you can break stuff.

A couple of months ago I was super red faced pissed off at a particular situation, and for the grace of God at that moment the phone rang from the same sales guy the 3rd time that week: "Hi, would you like a trial of the STAR paper for only... " followed by a "Hey Dude... could you possibly manage to F%$# the HE{{ off for a couple of months"... Click.

That was instant relief.

Serenity NOW!:tongue2:

Love that one, Homer. Fortunately, telemarketers almost never target us.
Lisa, have your forgotten about the kitten cannon? :devil:

Oh anyway I guess I'm getting better and better anyway. That's because I'm losing faith to everyone and everything. Kinda person who doesn't give a damn to whatever happens around her. :devil:

Aether said:
Yes, that's a lot. You might try going without tea (at least the kind with caffeine) for a few days and see if it makes a difference.
:bugeye:
Huh? But hey getting angry once a week isn't alot, is it? o:)
My boss was even surprised that I don't drink tea at work.

Danger said:
Lisa, have your forgotten about the kitten cannon?
:devil: :devil: :devil:
How can I do that when I'm going to establish a community for supporting poor cats?
well they're poor because they're alot.

Lisa! said:

Huh? But hey getting angry once a week isn't alot, is it?
My boss was even surprised that I don't drink tea at work.
Does getting angry once a week feel right for you? If so, then no problem. If you want to do something that will help you feel more calm and relaxed, then you could try staying away from caffeine for a while to see if it makes any difference.

Aether said:
Does getting angry once a week feel right for you? If so, then no problem. If you want to do something that will help you feel more calm and relaxed, then you could try staying away from caffeine for a while to see if it makes any difference.
I meant that couldn't be because of the effect of caffeine.
Actually I was away from caffeine for a while and I didn't notice any big difference. But perhaps I'd give it a try in the future again...

P.S. Thanks for your advice:smile:

Lisa,

Anger is but one emotion and as you probably know, a responce to some upsetting event. We are wired that way, however after many decades of poor anger management, I have discovered that, actual reasons for anger, most events are explainable and are not worth the effort. I now do two things, to quote a wise philosopher, " the unexaminded life is not worth living", I refer to this because I simply ask myself, why am I so angry? What made me react so violently? Usually I find it is a personal point of view. The other thing I do is simply not let other people drag me into their angry environment. If you've got a hot button, find out why. I do meditate, that helps. Good luck and peace.

Pet a friendly cat, that always does the trick... if you're a cat lover.

I suppose a dog would do as well, but I'm not a dog person.

Flame someone on the Internet, that always helps me.

When I'm having a bad day I just randomly ban members, not that any of you should worry... :uhh:

<I'm joking>

Perspectives said:
Lisa,

Anger is but one emotion and as you probably know, a responce to some upsetting event. We are wired that way, however after many decades of poor anger management, I have discovered that, actual reasons for anger, most events are explainable and are not worth the effort. I now do two things, to quote a wise philosopher, " the unexaminded life is not worth living", I refer to this because I simply ask myself, why am I so angry? What made me react so violently? Usually I find it is a personal point of view. The other thing I do is simply not let other people drag me into their angry environment. If you've got a hot button, find out why.
It just drives me nuts sometimes that I can't blame someone on my anxiety after analyzing the situation and putting myself in that person's shoes.o:) Eh I don't get angry too much but it's cute to look angry sometimes.:blushing:

I do meditate, that helps. Good luck and peace.
Thanks! Same you.:smile:

1. What is anger management?

Anger management is a set of techniques and strategies that help individuals control and regulate their anger in a healthy and productive way.

2. Why is anger management important?

Anger management is important because uncontrolled anger can have negative consequences on an individual's mental and physical health, relationships, and overall well-being. Learning how to manage anger can lead to improved communication, problem-solving skills, and overall emotional intelligence.

3. What are some tips for managing anger?

Some tips for managing anger include deep breathing exercises, practicing relaxation techniques such as yoga or meditation, identifying triggers and finding healthy ways to cope with them, and seeking professional help if needed.

4. Can anger be beneficial?

Yes, anger can be beneficial when it is expressed and managed in a healthy way. It can serve as a signal that something is wrong and motivate individuals to make positive changes in their lives. However, when anger is not managed properly, it can lead to destructive behaviors and negative consequences.

5. How can I help someone with anger management issues?

If you know someone who struggles with anger management, the best way to help is to listen and offer support. Encourage them to seek professional help if needed and offer to participate in healthy coping activities together. It is also important to set boundaries and take care of your own well-being when dealing with someone else's anger issues.