Quantum Mechanics & Mind-Body Problem: Tempting Idea or Crap?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum mechanics and its relationship to the mind-body problem, as well as the interest in pop culture and celebrities. There is a debate about whether the two issues are related and the role of emotion in learning about complex topics. The conversation also touches on the dating lives of celebrities and the potential use of their relationships for marketing purposes.
Ratzinger
tempting idea, but crap?

The universe is quantum mechanically. But no one understands quantum mechanics, as Feynman put it.
On the one hand the pivotal role and accuracy of QM in describing nature. On the other hand the inability to interpret QM (1. quantum reality- what is a superposed state? 2. measurement problem- where and when does wave function collapse?) Often-told, but true story.

What is consciousness? What is that non-physical and completely subjective “thing” called consciousness/ mind/ qualia? The mind-body problem, the oldest and greatest puzzle in all of philosophy and sciences. Again, we have no way of approaching it.

1. Now, are the solutions to both problems related to each other?

I know that has been proposed by some serious figures (Wigner, Penrose) and a lot of less serious people and got always rejected by the majority view. I also can’t see no connection, but found the idea always very tempting.

2. Why do most people never heard of qm or the mind-body problem?
Instead are more interested in who Angie Jolie is dating with?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because Angelina Jolie is hot (sort of). Since we are all humans sex is a VERY big thing in the back of all of our minds. It comes down to people being emotional aboot a topic, and most people (including myself) don't like to think that hard, so no one wants to learn QM. I find it difficult to learn science, and math, and I love both of them! How much less inclined would anyone be to learn aboot them, if they don't even care aboot the topic @ hand?

I'll give you a chance to change the topic name...Angie Jolie is not quite appropriate for the title.

But it does attract readers...

How about Jessica Alba? Beyonce? Or is Haley Berry more appropiate?
Whatever, tough rules here. But how do I change the topic name? Going to edit, rigth? And then?

Ratzinger said:
How about Jessica Alba? Beyonce? Or is Haley Berry more appropiate?
Whatever, tough rules here. But how do I change the topic name? Going to edit, rigth? And then?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: you are great man :rofl:

marlon

Ratzinger said:
Instead are more interested in who Angie Jolie is dating with?

yes i am;;;besides isn't she dating Brad Pitt now ?

marlon

It attracts readers because she is hawt!...

@ marlon: I think that was a marketing gimmick for their new movie ;)...she only likes 'em old lol.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It explains how particles such as atoms and electrons behave and interact with each other in the quantum realm.

2. How does quantum mechanics relate to the mind-body problem?

The mind-body problem is the philosophical debate about the relationship between the mind (consciousness) and the physical body. Some scientists and philosophers have proposed that quantum mechanics may offer a solution to this problem by suggesting that consciousness arises from quantum processes in the brain.

3. Is the idea of quantum mechanics and the mind-body problem widely accepted by the scientific community?

No, the idea of quantum mechanics being responsible for consciousness is highly debated and not widely accepted by the scientific community. While there is ongoing research in this area, there is currently no solid evidence to support this idea.

4. What is the main criticism of the quantum mind theory?

The main criticism of the quantum mind theory is that it is not testable or falsifiable. This means that there is no way to prove or disprove the idea, making it more of a philosophical concept rather than a scientific theory.

5. Are there any other theories that attempt to explain the mind-body problem?

Yes, there are various other theories that attempt to explain the mind-body problem, such as dualism, materialism, and panpsychism. Each of these theories has its own strengths and weaknesses and continues to be studied and debated by scientists and philosophers.