1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle and component problem

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    Hi! I reallyreallyreally need ur help with this.

ex.1 XBdOE.jpg
    To find the vertical and horizontal components of the force mg, I need to use the given angle [itex]\beta[/itex]. The problem is I dont know how to use it. I have tried to use the corresponding angles postulate. But I cant make it to work. How should I think to find the components?

ex2. UDqa8l.jpg
    Its the same thing here. I dont know how to think so I can use the given angle [itex]\beta[/itex] to calculate the components of mg.

Im sorry for my bad english but I hope you will understand what I want to ask.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2011 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Muffin and welcome to PF.

There is a geometry theorem that says that two angles that have their sides mutually perpendicular are equal. Do you see two lines that are mutually perpendicular to the sides that form the given angle β?

4. Aug 11, 2011 #3
    I think I understand now. Thank you so much!!:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook