Angle between colors - dispersion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a narrow beam of light containing yellow and green wavelengths that goes from polystyrene to air at a 30 degree incident angle. The question is what is the angle between the colors when they emerge, and how far would they have to travel to be separated by 1.00 mm. The problem requires the use of Snell's law of refraction and the refractive index for each wavelength. The calculations for finding the angle between the colors may vary, but the answer should be 0.043 degrees and 1.33 m.
BDR
(a) A narrow beam of light containing yellow (660nm) and green (550nm) wavelengths goes from polystyrene to air, striking the surface at a 30 degree incident angle. What is the angle between the colors when they emerge? (b) How far would they have to travel to be separated by 1.00 mm?

I need some guidance on if i am working the problem right! Do i use Snell's Law?

1.49sin30 = 1.000293sin(angle)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, use Snell's law of refraction. But you need to know the refractive index for each wavelength. The angle of incidence is the same (30 degrees), but the angle of refraction will be slightly different for each wavelength.

Here is what I'm doing!

Yellow: 1.492sin(30) = 1.000293sinθ

Green: 1.493sin(30) = 1.000293sinθ

When I do the calculations i am not getting the correct. The answer is suppose to be 0.043 degrees and 1.33 m. Where do you think I am messing up the calculations?

Beats me since you didn't show your calculations!

Using those same equations I get 0.043 degrees, so I'm not sure where you went wrong. Try this: (1) Solve for the angle of refraction for each color; (2) Subtract those angles to find the angle between the two refracted colors.

1. What is the angle between colors?

The angle between colors refers to the measurement of the difference in hue between two colors. It is usually expressed in degrees and can range from 0 to 360.

2. How is the angle between colors calculated?

The angle between colors is calculated using a color wheel, where each color is assigned a specific angle on the wheel. The angle between two colors is then measured by finding the shortest distance between them on the wheel.

3. What is dispersion in relation to the angle between colors?

Dispersion, also known as chromatic aberration, is the separation of white light into its component colors. In relation to the angle between colors, it refers to the difference in angle between the colors in a spectrum.

4. How does dispersion affect the angle between colors?

Dispersion can affect the angle between colors by increasing it, as it causes the colors to spread out and become more distinct from each other. This is why rainbows appear to have a wide angle between colors, as they are created by dispersion of sunlight through water droplets.

5. Why is the angle between colors important in science?

The angle between colors is important in science because it helps us to understand the relationship between different colors and how they interact with each other. It is also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to study the properties and behavior of light and color. Additionally, the angle between colors is crucial in fields like optics and photography for achieving accurate color representation and correction.