1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle between vectors

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let C be a straight path from (0,0) to (5,5) and let F=(y-x+2)i + (sin(y-x)+2)j.

At each point of C, what angle does F make with a tangent vector to C ?

3. The attempt at a solution

Well the displacement vector for C going from (0,0) to (5,5) is simply
    C=5i+5j. The tangent vector to this would be parallel to this vector, since C is a straight line. So my tangent vector is also 5i+5j. (Does this make sense?) Now to find the angle between F and C, i chose to do a dot product between them.

The dot product yields following result.

F.C = 5y-5x+5sin(y-x).

Since y=x in the displacement vector C, can i simply say that y=x, so the dot product is zero. Therefore the tangent vector and F vector are perpendicular to each other.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are using a character that shows only as a square on my internet reader. Did you mean find the angle F itself makes with the tangent to C?

Yes, since C is a straight line a "tangent" vector is just a vector in the same direction as C: 5i+ 5j or, for that matter, just i+ j. However, the dot product F.C is NOT 5y-5x+5sin(y-x). You have forgotten the "+2" in each component. F. C= 5y- 5x+ 10+ 5sin(x-y)+ 10 which is equal to 20 on C. If the problem is just to find the angle the vector field F(x,y) makes with the line y= x, on y= x, F(x,y)= 2i+ 2j is always in the same direction as C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?