What is the Angle Between Vectors A and C?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle between two vectors A and C, given their components and using the cross product and dot product equations. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the magnitude of A and C, using the dot product equation and then realizing that the cross product is perpendicular to the initial vectors, leading to the correct answer of 90 degrees.
raptik

Homework Statement

If A = 1i + 2j + 3k and B = 1i + 2k, and if C = A X B, then the angle between the vector A and the vector C is:

Homework Equations

AxB = ((a2b3-a3b2)i + (a3b1-a1b3)j + (a1b2-a2b3)k)
A·B = ABcosθ = AiBi + AjBj + AkBk

The Attempt at a Solution

I got C = 4i + j -2k and A = 1i + 2j + 3k
A·C = 4i + 2j - 6k with a magnitude of 7.48
then I used the magnitude of A and C individually to get 3.74 and 4.58 respectively.
The I used the equation cos-1(7.48/(3.74 x 4.58)) = θ
θ = 64.11 degrees. The actual answer is 90 degrees. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not meant to be a numerical question! Do you know what physical (spacial) property the cross product of a two vectors has with respect to the original vectors?

I suppose that the cross product is perpendicular to the plane of the initial vectors considering that the answer is 90 degrees. I was not fully aware of this, but if this is the case then I'll keep it in mind.

What is the definition of "Angle Between Vectors"?

The angle between vectors is the amount of rotation required to align one vector with the other, measured in degrees or radians.

How is the angle between vectors calculated?

The angle between vectors can be calculated using the dot product or the cross product of the two vectors.

What is the difference between the dot product and the cross product?

The dot product results in a scalar value, while the cross product results in a vector perpendicular to both input vectors. The dot product is used to calculate the angle between vectors, while the cross product is used to calculate the area of a parallelogram formed by the two vectors.

Can the angle between vectors be negative?

Yes, the angle between vectors can be negative if the vectors are in opposite directions.

Why is the angle between vectors important in science?

The angle between vectors is important in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering, as it allows us to understand and analyze the relationship between two vectors and their effects on a system.