What is the Angle Formed by a Leaning Ladder Against a House?

• MHB
  • Thread starter xyz_1965
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary: Thanks for the help.Good to know. Thanks for the help.In summary, the angle formed by the 16 foot ladder leaning against a house with the window 12 feet 6 inches above the ground can be calculated using the inverse sine function. By converting the measurements to inches, the angle is found to be approximately 0.0165919 radians. To convert this to degrees, the given decimal number must be multiplied by 180 degrees divided by pi. This results in an angle of approximately 0.000004608861 degrees.
xyz_1965
A 16 foot ladder is leaning against a house. It touches the bottom of a window that is 12, feet 6 inches above the ground. What is the measure of the angle that the ladder forms with the ground?

I will use sin (x), where x is the
measure of the angle that the ladder forms with the ground.

I think it best for me to convert 12 feet, 6 inches to inches. So, we have 50 inches.

sin (x) = 50/16

arcsin (sin x) = arcsin (50/16)

x = 0.0165919

Can the angle be left as a decimal answer? If not, how do I change 0.0165919 to degrees?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you convert 12.5 ft. to inches (which is 150 in.) you must do the same to the other.

To convert to degrees recall there are \(\displaystyle \pi\) radians in 180 degrees.

xyz_1965 said:
A 16 foot ladder is leaning against a house. It touches the bottom of a window that is 12, feet 6 inches above the ground. What is the measure of the angle that the ladder forms with the ground?

I will use sin (x), where x is the
measure of the angle that the ladder forms with the ground.

I think it best for me to convert 12 feet, 6 inches to inches. So, we have 50 inches.

sin (x) = 50/16

arcsin (sin x) = arcsin (50/16)

x = 0.0165919

Can the angle be left as a decimal answer? If not, how do I change 0.0165919 to degrees?

Given 0.0165919, I know it really means. 0° 0' 0.0165919".

I can use D + m/60 + s/3600, where D represents degrees, m is minutes and s is seconds.

= 0° + 0'/60 + 0.0165919"/3600
= 0.000004608861 degrees.

Is this right, Mark?

xyz_1965 said:
Given 0.0165919, I know it really means. 0° 0' 0.0165919".

I can use D + m/60 + s/3600, where D represents degrees, m is minutes and s is seconds.

= 0° + 0'/60 + 0.0165919"/3600
= 0.000004608861 degrees.

Is this right, Mark?

No, presumably the angle you have is in radians which is not the same as arc-seconds.

MarkFL said:
No, presumably the angle you have is in radians which is not the same as arc-seconds.

Can show me how to make the conversion?

xyz_1965 said:
Can show me how to make the conversion?

Use this:

MarkFL said:
To convert to degrees recall there are \(\displaystyle \pi\) radians in 180 degrees.

MarkFL said:
Use this:

What do you mean? Multiply the given decimal number by π? Are you saying to multiply the given decimal number by 180 degrees? Are you saying to use π/180°?

xyz_1965 said:
What do you mean? Multiply the given decimal number by π? Are you saying to multiply the given decimal number by 180 degrees? Are you saying to use π/180°?

Like with any unit conversion, you want to multiply by 1 in the form of a fraction containing some number of the desired unit over the equivalent number of current units. In this case, it would be:

\(\displaystyle \frac{180^{\circ}}{\pi}\)

MarkFL said:
Like with any unit conversion, you want to multiply by 1 in the form of a fraction containing some number of the desired unit over the equivalent number of current units. In this case, it would be:

\(\displaystyle \frac{180^{\circ}}{\pi}\)

Are you saying to multiply the given decimal number by \(\displaystyle \frac{180^{\circ}}{\pi}\)?

xyz_1965 said:
Are you saying to multiply the given decimal number by \(\displaystyle \frac{180^{\circ}}{\pi}\)?

Yes, that will convert an angle in radians to the same angle in degrees.

MarkFL said:
Yes, that will convert an angle in radians to the same angle in degrees.

Good to know.

1. What is an angle formed by a ladder?

An angle formed by a ladder is the angle between the ladder and the ground when the ladder is leaning against a wall or another surface.

2. How is the angle formed by a ladder calculated?

The angle formed by a ladder can be calculated using trigonometry. Specifically, it is the inverse tangent of the height of the wall divided by the length of the ladder.

3. Why is it important to know the angle formed by a ladder?

Knowing the angle formed by a ladder is important for safety reasons. It helps determine the stability of the ladder and the appropriate placement for the ladder to prevent it from slipping or falling.

4. How does the angle formed by a ladder affect its weight capacity?

The angle formed by a ladder can affect its weight capacity because the steeper the angle, the more force is placed on the ladder and the less weight it can support. It is important to follow weight capacity guidelines to prevent accidents and injuries.

5. Can the angle formed by a ladder change?

Yes, the angle formed by a ladder can change depending on the surface it is leaning against and the weight placed on the ladder. It is important to regularly check and adjust the angle as needed for safety purposes.