Finding the Angle of a Complex Number: Tips and Tricks

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angle of a transfer function. The suggested method is to break it into real and imaginary parts, but the person is looking for a faster way. The expert suggests multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator and then taking the arctan of the ratio of the imaginary and real parts. The person asks for clarification and the expert provides a hint, but the person does not see the logic and asks for a rule to find the angle.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.
I have the next transfer function

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7924/scan0002l.jpg

And I want to find the angle of it.
I know I can break it into REAL and IMAGINARY but I'm looking for a faster way, is there?

Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
asi123 said:
I have the next transfer function

And I want to find the angle of it.

Hi asi123! :smile:

Hint: if w R and C are all real, then the angle (phase) of 1 + jwRC is arctan(wRC) :wink:

asi123 said:
I know I can break it into REAL and IMAGINARY but I'm looking for a faster way, is there?

Not really; finding the real and imaginary parts here is fairly quick. Just multiply both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator, then [tex]\phi=\arctan\left(\frac{\text{Im}[H]}{\text{Re}[H]}\right)[/tex].

gabbagabbahey said:
Not really; finding the real and imaginary parts here is fairly quick. Just multiply both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator, then [tex]\phi=\arctan\left(\frac{\text{Im}[H]}{\text{Re}[H]}\right)[/tex].

For this on, but I'm asking in general.

Thanks.

tiny-tim said:
Hi asi123! :smile:

Hint: if w R and C are all real, then the angle (phase) of 1 + jwRC is arctan(wRC) :wink:

Ok, I don't see any logic in that.
This is not a homework question, I know the answer, why would you give me a hint?
Is there a rule how to get to the angle?

Thanks.

1. What is the angle of a complex number?

The angle of a complex number is the direction at which the number lies in the complex plane, measured counterclockwise from the positive real axis.

2. How is the angle of a complex number calculated?

The angle of a complex number can be calculated using the trigonometric function arctan(y/x), where y is the imaginary part and x is the real part of the complex number in the form a+bi.

3. What is the range of possible angles for a complex number?

The range of possible angles for a complex number is from 0 to 2π radians or from 0 to 360 degrees, as angles in the complex plane are measured in radians or degrees.

4. Can the angle of a complex number be negative?

Yes, the angle of a complex number can be negative if the number is located in the third or fourth quadrant of the complex plane, where the angle is measured clockwise from the negative real axis.

5. How does the angle of a complex number relate to its conjugate?

The angle of a complex number and its conjugate have the same magnitude but opposite signs. This means that their angles are reflections of each other across the real axis in the complex plane.