Calculating Torque and Angle of Force on a Particle

In summary, the torque on the particle is about .9050610046 N and the angle between the directions of the force and the particle's position vector is 64.8315006 degrees.
AnkhUNC

Homework Statement

Force F= (-6.93 N) + (7.85 N) acts on a particle with position vector r = (4.66 m) + (1.36 m). What are (a) the magnitude of the torque on the particle about the origin and (b) the angle between the directions of and ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I find (a) to be 46.0058 N*m which is correct and for (b) I use t/f*r

So 46.0058/sqrt(6.93^2+7.85^2)*sqrt(4.66^2+1.36^2) = .9050610046

sin-1(of that) = 64.8315006 = angle. But this is incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember this definition of the dot product?

[tex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}=|A||B|\cos\theta[/tex]

Try using this to solve for the angle and see if it gives the same value. (I think the cross product formula should work, but for some reason I'm getting a different value for the angle in each one...)

Does that work with a vector? I've been using t = rFsin(Theta)

Only thing I could think of is maybe its in the wrong quadrant but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

AnkhUNC said:
Does that work with a vector? I've been using t = rFsin(Theta)

Yes. It's the formula for the dot product between two vectors. Theta is the angle between the vectors.

Also, you have to know that:

[tex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}=A_xB_x+A_yB_y[/tex]

in order to use the dot product formula to find the angle between the vectors.

Let A=F and B=r and see what angle the dot product formula gives you.

(Sorry if you haven't learned what I'm talking about here. I also got the same angle you did with the formula your using. So I'm trying to check that answer with another equation.)

Really appreciate the help, not sure what its looking for :(

AnkhUNC said:
Really appreciate the help, not sure what its looking for :(

Well. I think the method your using should be correct. Here is what I suggest.

If your answer for the torque is correct, and the angle you get from the torque formula is wrong, I suggest the following alternative method:

Find the angle of the F vector from the x axis. (You should be able to do this using the components.)

Do the same for the r vector.

Now you should be able to subtract the two angles to find the angle between them.

If you get the same answer as you got before. Chances are that your probably right, especially if your answer to part a) is correct. I suggest asking your instructor about this problem. It is possible that the answer in the back of the book is wrong.

Also, this may seem simple after all of this, but we should make sure just in case: Are you sure the answer in the back of the book is in degrees and not radians?

Its not in degrees, its actually online homework that changes the variables for each person. I know (a) is right because it told me so and it also said the units for (b) were degrees :(

I tried it the way you suggested and again still wrong. I'll ask the instructor tomorrow but its really not a big deal I guess.

1. What is the angle of a F*r calculation?

The angle of a F*r calculation refers to the measurement of the angle between the force (F) and the displacement (r) of an object. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the work done on an object.

2. How is the angle of a F*r calculation related to work?

The angle of a F*r calculation is related to work through the formula W = F*r*cos(θ), where θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors. This means that the angle affects the amount of work done on an object, as a smaller angle will result in a larger value for cos(θ) and thus a larger value for work.

3. Why is it important to consider the angle in a F*r calculation?

The angle is important in a F*r calculation because it affects the direction and magnitude of the force acting on an object. This in turn affects the work done on the object, and can also impact other physical quantities such as power and torque.

4. How is the angle of a F*r calculation measured?

The angle of a F*r calculation is typically measured using a protractor or other angle measuring tool. It is important to ensure that the force and displacement vectors are accurately represented and that the angle is measured from the correct starting point.

5. Can the angle of a F*r calculation be negative?

Yes, the angle of a F*r calculation can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement vectors are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for cos(θ). It is important to pay attention to the direction of the vectors when calculating and interpreting the angle in a F*r calculation.