Calculating the Angle of a Perfect Circle: A Simple Formula

In summary: though if you are traveling at a constant speed and want to achieve a 5 g force you would need to accelerate to 49 m/s^2.
golith
Hi,
Just a quick question
I have a circle with radius of 5 metres, what is the angle of the circle?
or is there a simple formula to work this out.

Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
golith said:
Hi,
Just a quick question
I have a circle with radius of 5 metres, what is the angle of the circle?
or is there a simple formula to work this out.

Thanx
What is meant by "angle of the circle"?

the angle of the circle would be the constant angle (? angular velocity?) you would be on as you went around the horizontal ride. If its radius is 5 metres and is traveling at 1 m/s with a mass of 100kg in a circle, i believe i will need to know its angle to find out the force applied at any given time in its coarse.
Did this clear it up a bit? :)
thanx

golith said:
the angle of the circle would be the constant angle (? angular velocity?) you would be on as you went around the horizontal ride. If its radius is 5 metres and is traveling at 1 m/s with a mass of 100kg in a circle, i believe i will need to know its angle to find out the force applied at any given time in its coarse.
Did this clear it up a bit? :)
thanx
What do you mean by "the constant angle you would be on"? If you are traveling at 1m/s around a circle and the radius is 5 meters, then your angular displacement depends on how much time has passed.

Hay there, just re-reading some other information and have another question?
If your traveling in a straight line and your velocity is 1 m/s and you want to achieve a g-force of 5G would you therefore have to accelerate at (9.8m/s*5) or 48 m/s to affect 5 g's Thanx

LeonhardEuler said:
What do you mean by "the constant angle you would be on"? If you are traveling at 1m/s around a circle and the radius is 5 meters, then your angular displacement depends on how much time has passed.
Yes this would be the vectoring I am at now, but would time now be in reference to your velocity ?

golith said:
Hay there, just re-reading some other information and have another question?
If your traveling in a straight line and your velocity is 1 m/s and you want to achieve a g-force of 5G would you therefore have to accelerate at (9.8m/s*5) or 48 m/s to affect 5 g's Thanx
Yes, that would do it. (except its 9.8m/s^2*5=49m/s^2)
Yes this would be the vectoring I am at now, but would time now be in reference to your velocity ?
Time would simply be the amount of time that has passed since you started moving.

Now that's very good but what if that straight line is now a circle as perfectly round as humanly possible. would this still apply or has angular displacement now componded the g force and therefore not have to accelerate at 49 m/s^2 but less ?

Thanx

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/overgeorgia/pdf/HighSchoolWorkbook.PDF

looking at this to inspire me and in particular the horizontal accelerometer.

Last edited by a moderator:
golith said:
Now that's very good but what if that straight line is now a circle as perfectly round as humanly possible. would this still apply or has angular displacement now componded the g force and therefore not have to accelerate at 49 m/s^2 but less ?

Thanx
If a particle is changing direction, it is accelerating even if it is not speeding up or slowing down. If the radius of the circle is r and the particle's speed is v, then it's acceleration without changing speed is equal to [itex]\frac{v^2}{r}[/itex]. So, just by moving quickly enough in a small enough circle, you could have an acceleration of 5 g. For example, moving at 16 m/s in a circle of radius 5 gives an acceleration of a6^2/5=51.2m/s^2, which is about 5.2 g. If the particle also speeds up while moving in a circle, its acceleration will be the vector sum of the linear acceleration and the centripital acceleration.

Ah ha, Have U been told you are a legend :)
This has helped no end.
The last part of my query then is the last part being the vector sum of the linear acceleration and the centipital acceleration.
Could I express this by stating a(centripital) is V(2/t)/R
Linear acceleration as Vf-Vi/t = * m/s/s
If so then how do you do the vector sum of these two quantities? :)
That would be it and the computer would be able to do the rest to apply what's required upn the object at any given time.
This would then negate having to travel at high speeds to fool the particle into thinking it is traveling faster than it is, just deacceleration is the bugga now then in how to affect a rapid deacceleration when your not actually traveling that fast. Anyhow i will get there.
I added you to my buddy list and hope to be able to employ your good talent in the future. I'm also trying my hand at thermodynamics and quantum physics in general to be able to grasp concepts required in the future.
Hope to talk to you again.

Sorry for the waffle
Long live Formula one

The linear and centripital accelerations are perpendicular vectors, so they can be added by the pythagorean theorem. If [itex]a_c[/itex] is the centripital acceleration and [itex]a_l[/itex] is the linear acceleration, then the total acceleration is:
[tex]\sqrt{a_c^2 + a_l^2}[/tex]

Yet again another so simple answer in this world of complexities.
I tip my hat to you sir.

1. What is the angle measurement of a perfect circle?

The angle of a perfect circle is 360 degrees. This means that if you were to draw a line from the center of the circle to any point on the circumference, the angle formed would be 360 degrees.

2. Why is the angle of a perfect circle 360 degrees?

The angle of a perfect circle is 360 degrees because this was the convention established by ancient civilizations such as the Babylonians and Egyptians. It is also a highly divisible number, making it easier to work with in geometry and navigation.

3. Can the angle of a perfect circle be measured in radians?

Yes, the angle of a perfect circle can also be measured in radians. One full revolution, or 360 degrees, is equivalent to 2π radians. Radians are often used in higher level mathematics and physics calculations.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of a perfect circle and its radius?

The angle of a perfect circle is directly proportional to its radius. This means that as the radius increases, the angle also increases. This relationship can be expressed as the formula θ = s/r, where θ is the angle, s is the arc length, and r is the radius.

5. Is the angle of a perfect circle the same at every point on the circumference?

Yes, the angle of a perfect circle is the same at every point on the circumference. This is because a perfect circle has uniform curvature, meaning that every point on the circumference is equidistant from the center, resulting in the same angle measurement.