Angle of Electron Velocity Change: 8 Degrees

Then, use the equations of motion to find the final velocity and the angle it makes with the original velocity. In summary, the problem involves an electron being fired through deflection plates with a perpendicular electric field. The initial speed of the electron is given, and the goal is to find the angle of the electron's new velocity with the original velocity. To solve this, first calculate the acceleration due to the electric field, then determine the time the electron is in the field, and finally use the equations of motion to find the final velocity and angle.
Resmo112

Homework Statement

An electron is fired through a pair of deflection plates, which produce a 2.00 cm long region with an electric field of 4000 N/C perpendicular to the electron's initial velocity. If the initial speed of the electron is 1.00 × 107 m/s, what angle will its new velocity make with the direction of the original velocity?*

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it's 8 degrees (multiple choice question) I just don't even know where to start with this. I imagine I'm going to have to use an inverse tan eventually.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by expressing the acceleration of the electron due to the electric field. Next, determine how long the electron would experience this acceleration.

1. What is the angle of electron velocity change?

The angle of electron velocity change is 8 degrees.

2. How is the angle of electron velocity change measured?

The angle of electron velocity change is typically measured using a device called an electron spectrometer, which detects and measures the direction and speed of electrons.

3. What factors can affect the angle of electron velocity change?

The angle of electron velocity change can be influenced by various factors such as electric and magnetic fields, collisions with other particles, and the energy of the incoming electrons.

4. What is the significance of a change in electron velocity angle?

A change in electron velocity angle can provide insight into the behavior and interactions of electrons in a given system, and can be used to study the properties of materials and particles on a microscopic level.

5. How is the angle of electron velocity change used in practical applications?

The angle of electron velocity change is used in various fields such as particle physics, materials science, and electronics to understand and manipulate the behavior of electrons for technological advancements.