1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle of an emerging ray through two boundaries

1. Jun 10, 2004 #1
    Thank-you for taking the time to read my problem. I am currently doing work with light and boundaries and have come accross a question that I am having a hard time understanding. I know how to calculate angles when they go through one boundry but I can not figure out how to do it when there is 2 boundaries.

Look at the diagram. Calculate the angle of the emerging ray in air. Assume that the first and second boundaries are parallel.
    Diagram: click here
    (thanks to http://www.imageshack.us/ for the free image hosting)

I understand the question well. The ray is in air, crosses the boundary into the diamond, and then crosses the second boundary back into air where I have to figure out the angle. Where I am stumped is that second boundary. Thank-you for any help you may be able to give me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Snell's law-done twice

Apply Snell's law of refraction at each boundary. Question/hint: if the angle of refraction of the light after crossing the first boundary is [itex]\theta_2[/itex], what will be the angle of incidence of that light before crossing the second boundary?

4. Jun 11, 2004 #3
    Thank-you very much for your help. It was able to give me a good start into the question. :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?