Angle of an emerging ray through two boundaries

• Thread starter nation_unknown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Ray
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating angles when light crosses two boundaries. The individual is familiar with calculating angles for one boundary, but is having difficulty with two boundaries. They provide a diagram and mention using Snell's law of refraction twice to solve the problem. They also receive a helpful hint about the angle of incidence after crossing the first boundary. The conversation ends with gratitude for the assistance.
nation_unknown
Thank-you for taking the time to read my problem. I am currently doing work with light and boundaries and have come across a question that I am having a hard time understanding. I know how to calculate angles when they go through one boundry but I can not figure out how to do it when there is 2 boundaries.

Look at the diagram. Calculate the angle of the emerging ray in air. Assume that the first and second boundaries are parallel.
Diagram: http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6221/scan.jpg
(thanks to http://www.imageshack.us/ for the free image hosting)

I understand the question well. The ray is in air, crosses the boundary into the diamond, and then crosses the second boundary back into air where I have to figure out the angle. Where I am stumped is that second boundary. Thank-you for any help you may be able to give me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Snell's law-done twice

Apply Snell's law of refraction at each boundary. Question/hint: if the angle of refraction of the light after crossing the first boundary is [itex]\theta_2[/itex], what will be the angle of incidence of that light before crossing the second boundary?

Thank-you very much for your help. It was able to give me a good start into the question. :).

1. What is the angle of an emerging ray through two boundaries?

The angle of an emerging ray through two boundaries is the angle at which a ray of light passes through two different materials with different refractive indices.

2. How is the angle of an emerging ray calculated?

The angle of an emerging ray is calculated using Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speed of light in the first medium to the speed of light in the second medium.

3. What factors can affect the angle of an emerging ray?

The angle of an emerging ray can be affected by the refractive indices of the two materials, the angle of incidence, and the wavelength of the light.

4. What is total internal reflection and how does it relate to the angle of an emerging ray?

Total internal reflection occurs when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, causing all of the light to be reflected back into the original material. This relates to the angle of an emerging ray because it is the angle at which the ray of light will no longer pass through the boundary and will instead be reflected back.

5. How is the angle of an emerging ray used in practical applications?

The angle of an emerging ray is used in various applications such as optical fibers, lenses, and prisms. It is also important in understanding how light behaves in different materials, which has applications in microscopy, photography, and other imaging techniques.