Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle of attack from pitch angle acceleration

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    I am analyzing the landing of an aircraft with the following assumptions:

- I consider the main and the nose landing gear wheels as skids, in order to ignore the tyre deflection;

- I have a 3 DOF aircraft model, with X and Y-axis indicating the forces acting respectively horizontally and vertically and the theta angle positive clockwise. This frame of reference is referred to the center of gravity;

- I assume that the plane has already touched the ground, so I don't consider the gliding phase towards the runway.

Now the summation of moments aroung the c.g. gives:

ƩMcg = Iyy[itex]\ddot{\vartheta}[/itex]= RNLG * Ln - RMLG * Lm - hcg * [itex]\mu[/itex]Fvert

Where:
    [itex]\ddot{\vartheta}[/itex] is the angular acceleration of the pitch moment;
    RNLG and RMLG are the vertical reactions of the nose and of the main landing gear shock absorber;
    Ln and Lm are the distances respectively of the nose landing gear and of the main landing gear from the c.g.;
    [itex]\mu[/itex] is the friction coefficient;
    hcg is the vertical distance between the runway and the c.g.;
    Fvert is the resultant of the vertical forces.

Knowing the value of Iyy, which is the airplane pitch moment of intertia I can then compute [itex]\ddot{\vartheta}[/itex].

From this angular acceleration of the pitch angle I want to find the angle of attack, which is the difference from the pitch angle and the flight path angle:
    A.o.A. -> α = θ - γ

My questions are:

1) Can I assume γ = 0 (flight path angle), since the plane has already touched the ground when I start my computations?

2) If so, how do I integrate [itex]\ddot{\vartheta}[/itex] in order to get the picth angle? What are my intitial conditions?

I hope that everything is clear and sorry for the long post.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted