Angle of Football Kickoff

Homework Statement

Two footballs, A and B, are kicked from level ground with identical initial speeds, but with θA greater than θB.
Which football reaches a higher elevation?
Which football travels farther?
Which football stays in the air longer, i.e., has the greater hang time?
Which football has the greater horizontal component of velocity?

Homework Equations

vx0=v0cos(angle)
vy0=v0sin (angle)
t=vy0/g
y=((vy0^2)-vy^2)/g
x=vx0*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the answers were Football A, Football B, Football A, and then Football B, but these were wrong. I did a plug-in for this problem and I used 60 degrees for Angle A and 50 for Angle B with an initial velocity of 20 m/s. When I did all of the calculations out, I got the results I said above.

Answers and Replies

Your answers are right, although i would like to know the text answers. Could you please post them?

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two footballs, A and B, are kicked from level ground with identical initial speeds, but with θA greater than θB. Which football travels farther?

I thought the answer ( was).. Football B, I used 60 degrees for Angle A and 50 for Angle B with an initial velocity of 20 m/s. When I did all of the calculations out, I got the results I said above.
Try using Angle A =45 degrees and Angle B =0 degrees. Which one travels farther? The question is missing information.

There is an option that says "depends on the angle."

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I like that option:wink:

so since every equation above contains a vy0 or vxo, that would means that each answer is dependent on the angle?

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
so since every equation above contains a vy0 or vxo, that would means that each answer is dependent on the angle?
No. Look at the last one, for example.
Two footballs, A and B, are kicked from level ground with identical initial speeds, but with θA greater than θB. Which football has the greater horizontal component of velocity?
They both have the same initial velocity at angle A or B. Which one would have the greater x component of the initial velocity?