Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Angle of glide

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    What is the shallowest angle of glide in aircraft?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What Do you mean? Yaw, roll or pitch? Aside from that, the answer depends on the plane and the conditions.

4. Sep 14, 2010 #3
    Do you mean the best glide ratio? Thats where the L/D is maximum. You can plot L/D vs AoA.

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My first thought was that he meant AoA itself. Of course, then his question wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, but then again, it doesn't when you interpret it a glide ratio either... oh well.

6. Sep 14, 2010 #5
    This will, by definition, result in the shallowest glide angle.

7. Sep 16, 2010 #6
    A glider can typically cover 40ft for a drop of 1 ft.

An F-16 fighter jet will do only 1:1 (a good reason to have an ejection seat).

8. Sep 18, 2010 #7
    If that. We used to watch the viper drivers do FO's into Pope in the early 90s, and they were something to see. We'd thought they simply pancake, but they were simply maintaining or building enough airspeed for a flare.

I have tons of military aviation experience, but I still marvel at http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0JCA/is_12_12/ai_n6100350/".

Ah... walking to the airfield. Thank God he didn't have to.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook