Find Angle of Refraction: Snell's Law Solution

In summary, the problem involves finding the angle of incidence and angle of refraction for a ray of light traveling from a snail to Andrews eye. The index of refraction for air is 1 and for water is 1.33. The equation needed is Snells law and the given dimensions are the depth of the water (5m) and the distance from the eye to the snail (25m). However, more information may be required to solve the problem.
IBNU1

Homework Statement

Qsbpq9uJtSjjW9u02cfB15hCV8Ru_UDyGOr6EARDLDXQzEpUYeWlcg_XBTdwS863jFltmT7FF4b_iHfnRVnKXNREgjMZyCGo.png

I need to find how a ray of light will travel from the snail towards Andrews eye.
I need to find the angle of incidence and angle of refraction.
I know the index of refraction of both materials
Air: 1
Water 1.33

Homework Equations

Snells law
1.33 *sin(X) = sin(y)
x is angle of incidence
y is angle of refraction

The Attempt at a Solution

I only know how to solve these problems when I have a normal line
How do I find the normal line[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
IBNU1 said:

Homework Statement

[ IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/E...lcg_XBTdwS863jFltmT7FF4b_iHfnRVnKXNREgjMZyCGo[/PLAIN]

I need to find how a ray of light will travel from the snail towards Andrews eye.
I need to find the angle of incidence and angle of refraction.
I know the index of refraction of both materials
Air: 1
Water 1.33

Homework Equations

Snells law
1.33 *sin(X) = sin(y)
x is angle of incidence
y is angle of refraction

The Attempt at a Solution

I only know how to solve these problems when I have a normal line
How do I find the normal line
Hello IBNU1. Welcome to PF .

Do you have any dimensions for this ?

Likes IBNU1
SammyS said:
Hello IBNU1. Welcome to PF .

Do you have any dimensions for this ?
Sorry I forgot to include them
The depth of the water is 5m and the distance from his eye to the snail is 25 m

IBNU1 said:
Sorry I forgot to include them
The depth of the water is 5m and the distance from his eye to the snail is 25 m
I seems to me that you need to know more than that.

1. How do I calculate the angle of refraction using Snell's Law?

The angle of refraction can be calculated using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speed of light in the first medium to the speed of light in the second medium. The formula is n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two mediums, and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction are related by Snell's Law, which states that the angle of incidence is directly proportional to the sine of the angle of refraction. This means that as the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases.

3. What is the refractive index and how does it affect the angle of refraction?

The refractive index is a measure of how much a material can bend or refract light. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in a given medium. The refractive index of a material affects the angle of refraction by determining how much the light will bend as it passes through the medium.

4. Can Snell's Law be used for all types of light?

Yes, Snell's Law can be used for all types of light, including visible light, infrared radiation, and ultraviolet radiation. This is because all types of light travel at different speeds in different materials, and Snell's Law takes this into account when calculating the angle of refraction.

5. Are there any limitations to using Snell's Law to calculate the angle of refraction?

Snell's Law is a simplified equation that assumes the light is traveling through a single, uniform medium. In reality, light can travel through multiple mediums with varying refractive indices, and may also encounter obstacles that can affect the angle of refraction. In these cases, Snell's Law may not provide an accurate solution, and more complex equations may be needed.