What Angle Does the Polarizing Sheet's Axis Make with the Horizontal Direction?

In summary, the angle of transmission refers to the angle at which a light ray or other wave travels through a medium, and is calculated using Snell's law. It is affected by the refractive index, angle of incidence, and wavelength, and is important in understanding how waves travel through different media. The angle of transmission is also equal to the angle of reflection in situations where a light ray passes through a flat surface, which is known as the law of reflection.
Kathi201
Light known to be polarized in the horizontal direction is incident on a polarizing sheet. It is observed that only 15 percent of the intensity of the incident light is transmitted through the sheet. What angle does the transmission axis of the sheet make with the horizontal?

I am not quite sure how to figure out what the intensity of the light is. I know that I multiply that by .15 but I do not know how to figure out the value.

Physics news on Phys.org
See the formula for transmission I gave in the other post.

The angle of transmission in this scenario can be determined using Malus' Law, which states that the intensity of polarized light transmitted through a polarizing sheet is proportional to the cosine squared of the angle between the transmission axis of the sheet and the direction of polarization of the incident light. In this case, we know that only 15 percent of the intensity of the incident light is transmitted, so we can set up the equation as follows:

I = I0cos^2θ

Where I is the transmitted intensity, I0 is the incident intensity, and θ is the angle between the transmission axis and the direction of polarization. Rearranging the equation to solve for θ, we get:

θ = cos^-1√(I/I0)

Substituting in the known values, we get:

θ = cos^-1√(0.15)

θ = 60.2 degrees

Therefore, the transmission axis of the sheet makes an angle of approximately 60.2 degrees with the horizontal. This means that the sheet is oriented at an angle of 30.1 degrees from the direction of polarization of the incident light.

1. What is the angle of transmission?

The angle of transmission refers to the angle at which a light ray or other wave travels through a medium, such as air or water, and is measured as the angle between the direction of the incoming wave and the normal to the surface of the medium.

2. How is the angle of transmission calculated?

The angle of transmission is calculated using Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of transmission is equal to the ratio of the velocities of the wave in the two media.

3. What factors affect the angle of transmission?

The angle of transmission is affected by the refractive index of the medium, as well as the angle of incidence and the wavelength of the wave. Changes in any of these factors can result in a change in the angle of transmission.

4. Why is the angle of transmission important?

The angle of transmission is important because it determines how light or other waves will travel through different media, which can have various practical applications. For example, understanding the angle of transmission helps in designing lenses and other optical instruments.

5. How does the angle of transmission relate to the angle of reflection?

The angle of transmission and the angle of reflection are equal when a light ray passes through a medium with a flat surface. This is known as the law of reflection and is used in many optical devices, such as mirrors and prisms.