1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle problem

1. Dec 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 500-kg concrete slab is supported by a chain and sling attached to the bucket of the front-end loader shown. The action of the bucket is controlled by two identical mechanisms, only one of which is shown. Knowing that the mechanism shown supports half of the 500-kg slab, determine the force
    (a) In cylinder CD,
    (b) In cylinder FH.
    EQ4HPbq.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the summation of Fy

FDCsin26 - 2452.5 = 0
    FDC = 5594.5
    The correct answer for FDC is 7680 N compression

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a complicated mechanism. You can't just split the weight in two and say that's the force on Pin D.

You've got to start making FBDs at the bucket and work your way back until you reach the pins connecting the cylinders to the arm.

4. Dec 13, 2015 #3
    Is it not possible to dismantle the bucket leaving the 2 two force members and the weight of the slab. Now one knows the external forces of the bucket and can now calculate. Therefore the only forces in the y-direction are the weight of the slab and the component of FDC.

5. Dec 14, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not so. You can quickly deduce the tension in AB, for example.

6. Dec 14, 2015 #5
    It would seem I am missing a force coming from Pin D. Sorry guys! Thanks for your help I determined my error!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted