1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle rain appears to driver

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Rain is falling vertically at a constant speed of 8 m/s. At what angle (in degrees) from the vertical will the rain appear to be falling as viewed by a driver travelling on a straight, level road with a speed of 50 km/h?

2. Relevant equations

vr,c = vr,g + vc,g

3. The attempt at a solution

I set vr,g = -8, and vc,g = 13.88 m/s after conversion. I came up with a 13.88 sinθ - 8 = 0. θ = 35.19. 35.19+90 = 125.19. 180 - 125.19 = 54.8 degrees off of vertical. Not even close.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

By what reasoning do you arrive at that?

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3
    My book had a similar problem. The reasoning was to get the another angle besides the 90° and then i could subtract the difference

5. Feb 5, 2013 #4
    From 180°

6. Feb 5, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Essentially you have a right triangle with one leg of length and the other of length 13.8. tangent= opposite side/near side.

7. Feb 5, 2013 #6
    Right I get that but I have a negative number as per my definition of up being positive. I understand -1tan = 13.8/8 but I'm at a loss as to how this would work as I assigned it a value of -8.....wait do I just use 8 as the magnitude and "-" is the direction so I only need the magnitude of the velcoity?????

8. Feb 5, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can do it either way - just work with magnitudes and figure out the direction separately, or understand that the tangent function goes negative in the second and fourth quadrants (tan(x) = - tan(π-x)).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook