Finding the Angle of Rainfall for a Driving Car

In summary, the homework statement is saying that if you are looking at a driver on a road who is traveling at a speed of 50 km/h, and the angle of rain appearing to be falling is measured at 35.19 degrees off of vertical, then the angle of rain is actually falling at 54.8 degrees off of vertical.
burton95

Homework Statement

Rain is falling vertically at a constant speed of 8 m/s. At what angle (in degrees) from the vertical will the rain appear to be falling as viewed by a driver traveling on a straight, level road with a speed of 50 km/h?

Homework Equations

vr,c = vr,g + vc,g

The Attempt at a Solution

I set vr,g = -8, and vc,g = 13.88 m/s after conversion. I came up with a 13.88 sinθ - 8 = 0. θ = 35.19. 35.19+90 = 125.19. 180 - 125.19 = 54.8 degrees off of vertical. Not even close.

Physics news on Phys.org
burton95 said:
13.88 sinθ - 8 = 0
By what reasoning do you arrive at that?

My book had a similar problem. The reasoning was to get the another angle besides the 90° and then i could subtract the difference

From 180°

Essentially you have a right triangle with one leg of length and the other of length 13.8. tangent= opposite side/near side.

Right I get that but I have a negative number as per my definition of up being positive. I understand -1tan = 13.8/8 but I'm at a loss as to how this would work as I assigned it a value of -8...wait do I just use 8 as the magnitude and "-" is the direction so I only need the magnitude of the velcoity?

burton95 said:
Right I get that but I have a negative number as per my definition of up being positive. I understand -1tan = 13.8/8 but I'm at a loss as to how this would work as I assigned it a value of -8...wait do I just use 8 as the magnitude and "-" is the direction so I only need the magnitude of the velcoity?
You can do it either way - just work with magnitudes and figure out the direction separately, or understand that the tangent function goes negative in the second and fourth quadrants (tan(x) = - tan(π-x)).

1. What is angle rain?

Angle rain is a phenomenon where rain appears to be falling at a diagonal angle instead of straight down. This optical illusion is caused by strong winds that push the raindrops in a particular direction.

2. Why does angle rain occur?

Angle rain occurs due to the combination of strong winds and the shape of the raindrops. The wind pushes the raindrops sideways, creating the illusion of a diagonal fall.

3. Is angle rain dangerous?

No, angle rain is not dangerous. It is simply an optical illusion caused by weather conditions. However, the strong winds that cause angle rain can be dangerous in severe weather situations, such as hurricanes or tornadoes.

4. Can angle rain affect driving?

Yes, angle rain can affect driving as it can reduce visibility and make it difficult to judge the distance between objects. It is important to drive cautiously and adjust your speed in angle rain conditions.

5. How can angle rain be predicted?

Angle rain can be predicted by monitoring weather conditions, particularly wind speed and direction. Meteorologists can also use radar to detect areas of strong winds that could potentially cause angle rain.