Finding the Ratio of Angles of Tree A & B

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ratio of angles at which you must look to view the top of two trees, given their heights, distance from the observer, and the observer's eye height. The solution involves forming two triangles and using the tangent inverse to find the angles, resulting in a ratio of 37.95/18.8.
chantalprince

Homework Statement

Tree A is 10 m tall. Tree B is 60 m tall. You're standing on level ground at a position that is 25 m from tree A and 75 m from tree B. You're eye height is 1.5 m above the ground. Find the ratio of theta B/ theta A, of the angles (measured from the horizontal) at which you must look to view the top of each tree.

Homework Equations

tan(theta) tan -1 (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have found both angles A and B: A = 18.8 degrees B = 37.95 degrees

This is absolutely crazy that I don't know how to find the B/A ratio! do I just put 37.95/18.8? Or do I need to divide both of them by 90 first, since the overall angle is a horizontal?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"B/A ratio"

It's just as you have shown B divided by A. i.e. 37.95/18.8 (note I didn't check you math for these angles)

thank you! do these angles sound reasonable?

How did you get these angles? What is the relation between the height of the tree, the distance from the tree and the angle?

With everything I knew I was able to form two triangles and in each I knew two sides. A: 8.5 and 25 and hypotenuse unknown. B: 58.5 and 75 and hypotenuse unknown. Using the tangent inverse, I found theta for each.

You got it. Good job.

Thank you =]

1. What is the purpose of finding the ratio of angles of Tree A & B?

The purpose of finding the ratio of angles of Tree A & B is to determine the relationship between the angles of two different trees. This can provide insight into the growth patterns and health of the trees, as well as help with identifying different species of trees.

2. How is the ratio of angles of Tree A & B calculated?

The ratio of angles of Tree A & B is calculated by dividing the angle measurements of Tree A by the angle measurements of Tree B. This will give you a decimal value which can then be converted to a fraction or percentage if desired.

3. What tools are needed to find the ratio of angles of Tree A & B?

To find the ratio of angles of Tree A & B, you will need a measuring tool such as a protractor or angle finder to measure the angles of the trees. You may also need a calculator to perform the division and conversion calculations.

4. Can the ratio of angles of Tree A & B change over time?

Yes, the ratio of angles of Tree A & B can change over time. This can be due to factors such as growth, weather conditions, or damage to the trees. It is important to regularly re-measure the angles to track any changes in the ratio.

5. How can the ratio of angles of Tree A & B be useful for tree care?

The ratio of angles of Tree A & B can be useful for tree care in several ways. It can help with tree identification, as different species have different angle patterns. It can also help with monitoring the health and growth of trees, as changes in the angles can indicate potential issues. Additionally, the ratio can be used to inform pruning and trimming techniques for maintaining the desired shape and structure of the trees.