Angle sensing/sensor Problem

• Thread starter maigo.liu
  • Start date
Hi Guys,

I have an question about angle sensing/sensor.

The KMA 199/200 Sensor:
http://www.digikey.com/sg/en/ph/NXP/kma.html?WT.z_Tab_Cat=Featured%2520Products [Broken]

I read the data sheet, but I am still not 100% sure what this sensor is measuring.

I am doing a senior design project, and I need to measure the motion of the arm when shooting a basketball.

The other way I can think of is using a gyro sensor to measure the angular velocity and use the microcontroller to do an integral to find out the angle.

If you can think of any other way, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP ME.

Tanks A LOT!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
Have you thought about using an optical encoder? I believe they can yield quite accurate angle measurements and could be 'non-contact'.

Maybe also a system with a gyroscope and an accelerometer would work fine.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
What angular accuracy do you need and how fast do you want the answer (i.e. could you analyse pictures, later)?
Also, how much money do you have to spend?

Our goal is : after the motion of shooting the basketball, the player can check on a LCD display which he or she wears on the arm for the strength he or she applied to the basketball and the angle of his hand (maybe put the gyro on the back of the palm).

accelerometers?

There's a much simpler, and cheap, method you could use. The problem with the accelerometer is that it will be measuring lots of other accerations during the movement, not just the angle of the hand. A gyro might be better, but is expensive and fitting it to the hand might be a challenge. Is this a commercial project you are working on?