Angled Forces: Finding Components, Normal Force, and Acceleration

• Thread starter Mbenjj0x0xx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
You can also use a little trigonometry to find the magnitudes of the components of the weight force. In summary, to solve this problem, you need to draw and label a diagram of the forces, use trigonometry to find the components of the weight force, and then use Newton's second law to find the acceleration down the plane.
Mbenjj0x0xx
Angled Forces HELP!

QUESTION: A 57.4 kg crate is resting on a plane inclined 30 degrees above the horizontal.
a) Find the compoents of weight forces that are parallel to the plane (Fgx) and perpendicular to the plane (Fgy)

b) Find the normal force

c) Find the acceleration down the plane

d) Find the accleration down the plane if the crate weighed 5620 N

e) does acceleration depend on weight? Does it depend on mass?

2. Homework Equations - How do you set up this problem, or do anything? I'm so lost and I could really use a step by step explanation.

3. An attempt at a solution:

I drew a diagonal line with a box on it. Then I have my Normal force going directly perpendicular to the box, and my Fg going straight down from the box... Then I got lost :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org

Mbenjj0x0xx said:
QUESTION: A 57.4 kg crate is resting on a plane inclined 30 degrees above the horizontal.
a) Find the compoents of weight forces that are parallel to the plane (Fgx) and perpendicular to the plane (Fgy)

b) Find the normal force

c) Find the acceleration down the plane

d) Find the accleration down the plane if the crate weighed 5620 N

e) does acceleration depend on weight? Does it depend on mass?

2. Homework Equations - How do you set up this problem, or do anything? I'm so lost and I could really use a step by step explanation.

3. An attempt at a solution:

I drew a diagonal line with a box on it. Then I have my Normal force going directly perpendicular to the box, and my Fg going straight down from the box... Then I got lost :cry:

Start by drawing the 57.4 kg force vector straight down from the incline. From the tip of that vector draw a line perpendicularly back up to the lncline. That forms a little 30-60-90 triangle with your normal force vector as the hypotenuse. The length of the other legs of that triangle give the magnitudes of the normal and parallel forces. You can figure those out because you know the angles.

I am happy to help you understand the concept of angled forces and how to solve this problem step by step. Let's break it down into smaller parts and use some equations to help us out.

First, let's define some variables:

m = mass of the crate (57.4 kg)
θ = angle of the inclined plane (30 degrees)
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2)
Fgx = component of weight force parallel to the plane
Fgy = component of weight force perpendicular to the plane
N = normal force
a = acceleration down the plane

a) To find the components of weight forces, we need to use trigonometry. We can use the sine and cosine functions to find the horizontal and vertical components of the weight force (Fg) respectively.

Fgx = Fg * cosθ
Fgy = Fg * sinθ

Substituting in the values, we get:
Fgx = (57.4 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) * cos30 = 279.9 N
Fgy = (57.4 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) * sin30 = 139.9 N

b) The normal force (N) is the force exerted by the inclined plane on the crate that prevents it from falling through the plane. This force is perpendicular to the plane and equal in magnitude to the weight component perpendicular to the plane (Fgy).

Therefore, N = Fgy = 139.9 N

c) To find the acceleration down the plane, we can use Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object times its acceleration (ΣF = ma).

Since the only forces acting on the crate are its weight and the normal force, we can write the equation as:
ΣF = Fgx - N = ma

Substituting in the values, we get:
(279.9 N) - (139.9 N) = (57.4 kg)a
a = 2.17 m/s^2

d) If the crate weighed 5620 N, the calculations would be the same except for the weight force (Fg) value, which would now be 5620 N. Substituting this value in the equations, we get:
Fgx = (5620 N) * cos30

1. What are angled forces?

Angled forces refer to forces that act on an object at an angle, rather than directly pushing or pulling on it in a straight line. These forces can be decomposed into horizontal and vertical components, which can be used to calculate the overall force acting on an object.

2. How are angled forces calculated?

To calculate angled forces, you must first determine the angle at which the force is acting. Then, use trigonometry to find the horizontal and vertical components of the force. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the overall force.

3. How do angled forces affect motion?

Angled forces can cause an object to accelerate in a direction other than the direction of the force. This is because the vertical and horizontal components of the force can combine to create a net force that is not in line with the original force. This can result in curved or circular motion.

4. What is the difference between angled forces and straight forces?

The main difference between angled forces and straight forces is the direction in which they act. Straight forces act directly on an object in a straight line, while angled forces act at an angle. This can result in different effects on the motion of an object.

5. How do angled forces affect the stability of structures?

Angled forces can affect the stability of structures by creating rotational forces, which can cause the structure to tilt or topple over. It is important to consider the direction and magnitude of angled forces when designing structures to ensure their stability and safety.