Calculating Angle of Refraction for Light Passing Through Water and Glass

In summary, the question asks for the direction of travel of a light ray as it passes through a 1.0-cm-thick layer of water and a horizontal slab of glass. The index of refraction for water is 1.33 and for air is 1. Using the equation n1sin(theta1) = n3sin(theta3), the correct value of ~35.3 degrees can be obtained by ignoring the water and solving for x with an index of refraction of 1.5 for the glass.
aliaze1

Homework Statement

A 1.0-cm-thick layer of water stands on a horizontal slab of glass. A light ray in the air is incident on the water 60 degrees from the normal.

What is the ray's direction of travel in the glass?

Homework Equations

n΄sinθ΄ = n¹sinθ¹

or, if that is confusing,

n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2

The Attempt at a Solution

The index of refraction for water is 1.33, and the index of refraction for air is 1

therefore i set up the problem as:

(1)sin(60) = (1.33)sinθ

θ should = about 40.628 degrees, but the computer says it is incorrect... where am I going wrong?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly does the question ask for?

oh sorry about that, it asks this

'What is the ray's direction of travel in the glass?'

i just edited it also

aliaze1 said:
oh sorry about that, it asks this

'What is the ray's direction of travel in the glass?'

i just edited it also

So you did the first part to get the angle across the air/water interface... but now you need to handle the water/glass interface... actually I'm thinking since:

n1sin(theta1) = n2sin(theta2)... n2sin(theta2) = n3sin(theta3)...

You can simply ignore the water part...

n1sin(theta1) = n3sin(theta3)

unless I'm missing something...

Lol!

learningphysics said:
So you did the first part to get the angle across the air/water interface... but now you need to handle the water/glass interface... actually I'm thinking since:

n1sin(theta1) = n2sin(theta2)... n2sin(theta2) = n3sin(theta3)...

You can simply ignore the water part...

n1sin(theta1) = n3sin(theta3)

unless I'm missing something...

LOL oh i see! hahaha i was thinking that the water itself was the reflective surface and ignored the word 'glass'! haha this should work

yay!

yes you were correct, it works!

using the other index as 1.5 (ignoring the water entirely), i get 1sin(60)=1.5sin(x), and then i just had to solver for x, which gave me the correct value of ~35.3 deg

thanks!

aliaze1 said:
yes you were correct, it works!

using the other index as 1.5 (ignoring the water entirely), i get 1sin(60)=1.5sin(x), and then i just had to solver for x, which gave me the correct value of ~35.3 deg

thanks!

no prob! you're welcome!

1. What is an angle of refraction?

An angle of refraction is the angle between the refracted ray and the normal line at the point of incidence when a ray of light passes from one medium to another.

2. How is the angle of refraction calculated?

The angle of refraction can be calculated using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two media.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction are related by Snell's Law, which states that they are inversely proportional to the indices of refraction of the two media.

4. How does the angle of refraction change when light passes from a rarer to a denser medium?

The angle of refraction will decrease when light passes from a rarer to a denser medium, as the speed of light decreases in the denser medium and Snell's Law dictates that the angle of refraction is inversely proportional to the speed of light.

5. What is total internal reflection and how does it relate to angles and refraction?

Total internal reflection occurs when light traveling from a medium with a higher refractive index to a medium with a lower refractive index is completely reflected at the interface between the two media, with no light passing through. This phenomenon is related to angles and refraction because it occurs when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, which is determined by the refractive indices of the two media.