Finding Third Angle of Vector in XYZ Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the 3rd angle of a vector given the angles it is inclined at to two of the axes. It is mentioned that direction cosines can be used to find this angle, and an example is given to demonstrate the process. The conversation concludes with a thank you and well wishes for the new year.
Rob K
Hi guys,

Wondering if you could help me on this one. If you have a vector in xyz, and you know the angles that the vector is inclined at to two of the axis, how do you find the 3rd one.

eg, line inclined at 60˚ to the x-axis and 45˚ to the y axis, how do you find the inclination to the z axis (which is 60˚ or 120˚ by the way) I know it has something to do with direction ratios and direction cosines, but don't know how to get there. I also know that direction cosines add up to 1, but I can't find a connection.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use "direction cosines". If [itex]\theta[/itex], [itex]\phi[/itex], and [itex]\psi[/itex] are the angles a direction makes with the x, y, and z axes respectively, then [itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ cos(\phi)\vec{j}+ cos(\psi)\vec{k}[/itex] is the unit vector in that direction.

That means that if you are given a vector, v, you can find the angles it makes with the axes by reducing it to a unit vector- divide by its length- and look at the components.

In your example, you know that a unit vector in your direction is [itex]<cos(60), cos(45), cos(\psi)>= < 0.5, 0.707, cos(\psi)>[/itex] so you must have [itex].25+ 0.5+ cos^2(\psi) = 1[/itex]. You can solve that for [itex]\psi[/itex].

Yes of course, that is so simple when it is explained. Thank you very much Hallsofivy.

Happy new year.

Rob K

What is a vector in the XYZ plane?

A vector in the XYZ plane is a mathematical concept that represents a quantity with both magnitude and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing from its initial point to its terminal point in a three-dimensional coordinate system.

How do you find the third angle of a vector in the XYZ plane?

To find the third angle of a vector in the XYZ plane, you can use the dot product or the cross product of two known vectors. The angle between the two vectors can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as cosine or sine. The third angle can then be found by subtracting the sum of the other two angles from 180 degrees.

What is the dot product of two vectors in the XYZ plane?

The dot product of two vectors in the XYZ plane is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. The dot product can also be used to determine the angle between two vectors.

What is the cross product of two vectors in the XYZ plane?

The cross product of two vectors in the XYZ plane is a mathematical operation that results in a vector perpendicular to the two original vectors. It is calculated by taking the cross product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them. The direction of the resulting vector can be determined using the right-hand rule.

Why is finding the third angle of a vector in the XYZ plane important?

Finding the third angle of a vector in the XYZ plane is important in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to accurately represent and manipulate three-dimensional objects and their movements. It also helps us understand the relationship between different vectors and their orientations in space.