Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angles in R[sup]n[/sup]

1. May 11, 2012 #1
    Apparently you can calculate the angle between two vectors even when they occupy say 7 dimensions. I have trouble believing that. To me if a vector occupies 7 dimensions than it is incommensurable with another vector occupying 7 dimensions.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2
    Two non-collinear vectors span a 2-dimensional plane, no matter how many dimensions they are embedded in. The angle between the vectors is measured in that plane.

4. May 11, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, I don't understand what you mean by a vector "occupying" 7 dimensions. A vector is, pretty much by definition, a one dimensional object, no matter what the dimension of the underlying space. Perhaps that is your misunderstanding. You may be think of the vector as "taking up" the entire space. That is not true in 7 dimensions any more than it is true in 3 dimensions. You are talking about vector s in 7 dimensions, not "occupying" 7 dimensions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook