Solving a Triangle's Angles with an Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a trigonometry problem involving a triangle where one angle is greater than the other. The equation ##3\sin x-4\sin^3 x-0.75=0## is given and can be rewritten as ##12\sin x-16\sin^3 x-3=0##. Various methods for solving this cubic equation are suggested, including using a trig identity and using Cardano's method. Ultimately, the solution is found to be ##C=2\pi/3##.
Saitama

Homework Statement

In a ##\Delta ABC##, angle A is greater than angle B. If the measures of A and B satisfy the equation ##3\sin x-4\sin^3 x-0.75=0##, then angle C is equal to
A)##\pi/3##
B)##\pi/2##
C)##2\pi/3##
D)##5\pi/6##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The given equation can be rewritten as ##12\sin x-16\sin^3 x-3=0##. This is a cubic equation in ##\sin x##, how am I supposed to solve this? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let y = sin x, then you have a cubic in y.

You could also try manipulating one of the trig identities for sine of the multiple of an angle.

SteamKing said:
Let y = sin x, then you have a cubic in y.

You could also try manipulating one of the trig identities for sine of the multiple of an angle.

Sorry but I am still lost, how am I supposed to solve ##16y^3-12y+3=0##? :confused:

davidchen9568 said:
You may need this formula:
[tex]3sinx-4{ sin }^{ 3 }x=sin3x[/tex]

Cool! :cool:

I totally forgot about that. :redface:

That gives ##\sin 3x=3/4##, hence
[tex]x=\frac{1}{3}\arcsin\frac{3}{4}, \frac{1}{3}\left(\pi-\arcsin\frac{3}{4}\right)[/tex]

##C=\pi-(A+B)## where ##A+B=\pi/3##, therefore ##C=2\pi/3##.

Thank you David! :smile:

No, I would never use the alternative method, that isn't in my syllabus and you already gave such a nice method. :tongue2:

It's interesting that the 0.75 doesn't matter a whit here in solving it.

1. What is the equation used to solve a triangle's angles?

The equation used to solve a triangle's angles is known as the "Law of Cosines", which states that the square of a triangle's side is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, minus twice the product of those two sides and the cosine of the angle opposite the first side.

2. What information is needed to solve a triangle's angles using an equation?

To solve a triangle's angles using an equation, you will need to know the lengths of at least two sides and the measure of the angle opposite one of those sides.

3. Can the Law of Cosines be used to solve any triangle?

Yes, the Law of Cosines can be used to solve any triangle, regardless of its shape or size. However, if all three angles of the triangle are known, it is easier to use the "Law of Sines" to solve for the remaining side lengths.

4. How many solutions are possible when using an equation to solve a triangle's angles?

When using the Law of Cosines to solve a triangle's angles, there can be either one, two, or no solutions, depending on the given information. If the given information is not enough to form a valid triangle, there will be no solutions. If there is only one possible triangle that can be formed with the given information, there will be one solution. And if there are multiple possible triangles that can be formed, there will be two solutions.

5. Can an equation be used to solve a triangle's angles if only the lengths of the sides are known?

Yes, the Law of Cosines can still be used to solve a triangle's angles if only the lengths of the sides are known. In this case, you will need to use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the measure of at least one of the angles before using the Law of Cosines to solve for the remaining angles.