1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angles of polygons

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the measure of an interior angle of a regular polygon is given. need to find the number of sides in the polygon. i cannot find the formula to be able to do this.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2
    On any polygon, the measure of the exterior angles always adds up to 360 degrees and they are supplementary to the interior angles. Because the interior angles in a regular polygon are going to have the same measure, the exterior angles will as well, so the exterior angles will have the measure 360/n where n is the number of sides. See if you can use that to get started.

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Another way to do this is to draw a line from one vertex to every other vertex. The sides of polygon alredy connect that vertex to the vertex on either side so you draw n-3 "diagonals" and that divides the polygon into n-2 triangles. Since every triangle has angle sum 180 degrees, the n-1 triangles and so the total angles in the polygon have angle sum 180(n-2). Since there are n interior angles, what is the measure of each angle in a regular n-gon? Set that equal to the angle you are given and solve for n.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  5. Nov 23, 2008 #4
    I believe it is n-3 "diagonals" and n-2 triangles. A square (n=4) has 1 diagonal (n-3) and 2 triangles (n-2).

6. Nov 24, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Right. Thanks. I wrote too fast. I will edit what I wrote.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?