Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anglo Saxson Literature

1. Oct 29, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2005 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  4. Oct 29, 2005 #3

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I'm really going to have to learn this language someday - maybe over the summer I can get a start. I love the stories they tell.

5. Oct 29, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

The Great Famin 1315 to 1317

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_of_1315-1317

The Great Famine of 1315-1317 (or to 1322) was the first of a series of large-scale crises that struck Europe early in the 14th century, causing millions of deaths over an extended number of years and marking a clear end to an earlier period of growth and prosperity during the 11th through 13th centuries. Starting with bad weather in the spring of 1315, universal crop failures lasted through 1316 until the summer of 1317; Europe did not fully recover until 1322. It was a period marked by extreme levels of criminal activity, disease and mass death, infanticide, and cannibalism. It had consequences for Church, State, European society and future calamities to follow in the 14th century.

6. Oct 29, 2005 #5

wolram

Gold Member

And then the Black Death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death

The Black Death (more recently known as the Black Plague) was a devastating pandemic that first struck Europe in the mid-14th century (1347–50), when it was killed about a third of Europe's population, an estimated 34 million people. A series of plague epidemics also occurred in large portions of Asia and the Middle East during the same period, which indicates this outbreak was actually a worldwide pandemic. The same disease is thought to have returned to Europe every generation with varying degrees of intensity and fatality until the 1700s. Notable late outbreaks include the Italian Plague of 1629-1631, the Great Plague of London (1665–66), and the Great Plague of Vienna (1679).

7. Oct 29, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

I love this stuff, any that do not :tongue2: from now on it is my personal
    research that takes priority, so have fun :smile:

8. Nov 11, 2005 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?