Angular acceleration and velocity problem

In summary, to find the angular acceleration and angular velocity of the pole, we used the torque equation and the fact that the net force on the pole must be zero. Solving for the angular acceleration, we get 6g/l, and solving for the angular velocity, we get 0. Thank you for your question!
ippo90

Homework Statement

a homogeneous pole AB has a mass m and a length l. the pole makes a 45 deg angle with the horizontal axis, and the pole is being held in resting position by a rope. (see the drawing =P)
find the angular acceleration and angular velocity, when the rope is cut and the pole doesn't slide.

Homework Equations

Eq. for torque: t= Ia or t = r x F
Eq. for the spin: L=Iw or L = r x p

The Attempt at a Solution

tried to find the ang. acceleration by setting the eq. for torque equal each other.

Ia=rxF

I=1/12mr^2, where r is l/2 because the center of mass is there(?).

and

r x F is rmgsin(agle)

sonving this I got (24g/l)sin(a)
which is wrong how should I approach this problem?
hope someone will answer!

Attachments

• prob.jpg
    prob.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 337
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

To find the angular acceleration and angular velocity of the pole, we need to consider the forces and torques acting on it. In this case, we have the weight of the pole acting downwards and the tension force from the rope acting upwards. Since the pole is not sliding, the net force on it must be zero.

Now, let's consider the torque equation. The torque is equal to the moment of inertia (I) times the angular acceleration (α). We can also express it as the cross product of the radius vector (r) and the force (F). In this case, the force is the weight of the pole (mg) and the radius vector is the distance from the pivot point (A) to the center of mass of the pole (l/2). Therefore, our torque equation becomes:

t = Iα = r x F = (l/2) x mg = (1/2)lmg

Since the pole is not sliding, the net force on it must be zero. This means that the weight of the pole must be balanced by the tension force from the rope. Therefore, we can write the following equation:

mg = T

Now, we can substitute this into our torque equation to get:

t = (1/2)lmg = Iα

Solving for α, we get:

α = (1/2)lg/I = (1/2)lg/(1/12)ml^2 = 6g/l

This is the angular acceleration of the pole when the rope is cut.

To find the angular velocity, we can use the equation L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum and ω is the angular velocity. The angular momentum can be expressed as the cross product of the radius vector and the linear momentum (p). In this case, the linear momentum is zero since the pole is not sliding. Therefore, our equation becomes:

L = Iω = r x p = (l/2) x 0 = 0

This means that the angular velocity is also zero when the rope is cut.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular velocity of an object changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's direction and speed of rotation is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of rotational motion, while linear acceleration is a measure of translational motion. Angular acceleration is typically described in units of radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is typically described in units of meters per second squared.

3. How do you calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is: ω2 - ω1 / t2 - t1, where ω represents angular velocity and t represents time.

4. What is the relationship between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are related through the fundamental equation of rotational motion: α = dω / dt, where α represents angular acceleration and ω represents angular velocity. This equation shows that angular acceleration is the derivative of angular velocity with respect to time.

5. How does angular acceleration affect an object's motion?

Angular acceleration can cause an object to change its direction of rotation, its speed of rotation, or both. A positive angular acceleration will cause an object to speed up in its rotation, while a negative angular acceleration will cause it to slow down. This change in motion can also affect an object's stability and cause it to experience torque or centripetal forces.