Understanding Angular Acceleration and Speed in a Human Centrifuge

In summary, the problem is asking for the angular acceleration and angular speed in rpm of a human centrifuge that takes 1.0 min to turn through 20 complete revolutions before reaching final speed. The answer to a is 40 rev/min^2 and the answer to b is 40 rev/min. To solve this problem, one can use kinematics equations for rotational motion and choose units for angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration appropriately. It is important to note that the centrifuge starts from rest and the final velocity is not known. By using equations such as displacement = initial velocity * time + 1/2 * acceleration * time^2, the values for acceleration and final velocity can be determined and converted to the desired units.
torment
This problem states:

A human centrifuge takes 1.0 min to turn through 20 complete revolutions before reaching final speed.

They are asking for angular acceleration (a) and angular speed in rpm (b).

The answer to a is 40 rev/min^2
The answer to b is 40 rev/min
-I'm have the formulas for angular acceleration but most of them won't work b/c I don't have any velocity attached to this problem.

I don't know how to set the problem up to receive the right answer. I've tried converting from radians to rev/min^2 and end up with the wrong answer every time. This isn't a very difficult problem but I don't understand how to set the problem up to find the right answer.

I end up with 2.09 rad/s but that answer doesn't take me in the right direction (at least I don't think so).

Thanks in advance,
Dusty

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not try some Kinematics equations? Since angular acceleration is presumed to be constant, you can convert these equations to the relevant form for rotational motion.

For example, a=(v-u)/t will now be: angular acceleration=(final angular velocity-initial angular velocity)/time

Note: Choose units for angular displacement, angular velocity and angular acceleration wisely! Also, remember that the centrifuge starts from rest.

Last edited:
when i use that equation, i end up with .333.

i'm doing (20rad/s-0rad/s)/60s = 0.333 ? The answer needs to be in rev/min^2 and I don't know how to get the answer in the form that they want it. If i double the amount that I have, I'll have the right answer, but I don't understand why.

20 isn't the final angular velocity, it is the displacement. You don't yet know what the final velocity is, but since you know the initial velocity, the time, and the displacement, you can use a kinematics equation like displacement = vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2 to solve for the acceleration. Now you have the initial velocity, the time, and the acceleration, so you can easily solve for the final velocity. Since the answer is in rpm, you don't need to convert any of the numbers to a different form, ie leave the time in minutes and don't use radians.

thank you dzza...finally got the right answer.

i don't think i understood exactly what information i had. i misinterpreted the 20 rev/min as final velocity.

thank you very much!

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is defined as the change in angular velocity divided by the change in time.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is commonly measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

3. What is the difference between angular acceleration and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the change in rotation of an object, while linear acceleration refers to the change in an object's linear velocity. Angular acceleration is usually measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

4. What factors affect angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is affected by the applied torque, the moment of inertia of the object, and the distance from the axis of rotation at which the torque is applied. The direction of the torque also plays a role in determining the direction of the angular acceleration.

5. How is angular acceleration related to angular velocity?

Angular acceleration and angular velocity are related by the following equation: a = Δω/Δt, where a is angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time. This means that angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time.