1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Acceleration of a Disc

1. Jun 7, 2004 #1
    I think I'm starting to abuse this forum. Anyways, it seems that I haven't grasped the concept of angular acceleration yet since I'm having trouble solving this problem:

Suppose I have a disc laying on the x-y plane with center at the origin. Suppose the disc is rotating about the z-axis with angular velocity [itex]\vec{w}[/itex] and about the y-axis with angular velocity [itex]\vec{u}[/itex]. What is the angular acceleration of the disc?

The resultant angular velocity of this disc is [itex]\vec{w} + \vec{u}[/itex] right? I guess since this resultant angular velocity is changing direction as the disc spins, it gives rise to an angular acceleration. I can't really picture the angular acceleration though (i.e. where is it at?).

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2004 #2
    What the heck am I saying!? The resultant angular velocity vector doesn't change direction. Then where is this angular acceleration I'm asked for comming from? This is weird.

4. Jun 8, 2004 #3

Gza

Remember from [tex] \vec{\tau} = I \vec{\alpha} [/tex] that a torque is required to cause an angular acceleration. This body can't somehow cause a force(or torque for that matter) on itself by newton's third law, since all forces(or torques) are interactions involving more than one body. Therefore the author of your problem must be high. :tongue:

5. Jun 8, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Where is it stated that the resulting angular velocity [tex]u\vec{j}+w\vec{k}[/tex] is a constant in time??
    The angular acceleration is simply [tex]\vec{\alpha}=\dot{u}\vec{j}+\dot{w}\vec{k}[/tex]

6. Jun 8, 2004 #5
    I'm stating it now then: the angular velocity vectors are constant (i.e. do not change with time). If I applied your formula, then I would get an angular acceleration of zero. I'm starting to loose confidence with this problem.

7. Jun 8, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, then the angular acceleration is zero.
    Let [tex]\vec{\omega}[/tex] be the resultant angular velocity vector.
    We may write:
    [tex]\vec{\omega}=\omega\vec{i}_{\omega}[/tex]

where:
    [tex]\vec{i}_{\omega}=\frac{u}{\sqrt{u^{2}+w^{2}}}\vec{j}+\frac{w}{\sqrt{u^{2}+w^{2}}}\vec{k}[/tex]
    [tex]\omega=\sqrt{u^{2}+w^{2}}[/tex]

In your case, [tex]\vec{i}_{\omega}[/tex] is a constant vector defining the rotation plane (for which it is the unit normal)
    [tex]\omega[/tex] is the scalar angular velocity.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  8. Jun 8, 2004 #7
    Maybe the correct answer is zero?

9. Jun 8, 2004 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sorry about the Latex mess; it should be fixed by now.

10. Jun 8, 2004 #9
    Funny, the book has a different answer. I didn't give a verbatim copy of the problem since it's lengthy and has a picture. Maybe my summary of the problem I gave here is not accurate. No matter, since my doubts have been cleared.

11. Jun 8, 2004 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Could you post the answer from the book?

12. Jun 8, 2004 #11
    The answer is numerical, so I don't think that will help unless I quote the problem exactly. Don't worry about it. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?