1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular acceleration of mass

1. Mar 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform plate of mass m is suspended as shown.What will be the angular acceleration immediately after connection at B has been released?

http://i.stack.imgur.com/1hMuk.png

2. My attempt-

I used torque=M.I*angular acceleration

I chose the axis to be perpendicular to the plane at A where M.I=5mc^2/12 and at a distance of c/2 from line of action of mg by putting it in equation we get angular acc.=1.2g/c but the given ans. is 2.4g/c

But when I solve choosing the axis as centre of mass -
    The tension/force by which string will pull= mg/2 and distance of line of action from axis =c/2 and M.I about c.m=5mc^2/48 and using torque =M.I*angular acceleration i get the right ans. I don't know what's the mistake in my 1st approach.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2015 #2
    Where is the diagram?

4. Mar 28, 2015 #3
    Thanks for pointing. I corrected it.

5. Mar 28, 2015 #4
    I think you calculated the lever arm incorrectly. If you choose point A, the lever arm that is perpendicular to the line of action is (c/2)/2 or c/4

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted