Angular acceleration with rpms

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a power drill reaching a certain RPM and the question of finding the angular acceleration. The person asking for help has attempted to solve the problem but is unsure of their answer. They also mention finding the problem on a practice problem website but are unsure of the validity of the answer given. The expert recommends disregarding the answer and possibly contacting the website owners for a correction.
ginaoh
Can someone walk me through this problem?

A power drill reaches 13164 rpm in 1.01 seconds. What is the angular acceleration?

The answer listed is 3.791 rad/s2, but I don't know how to get there.

So far, I did (13164 rev x 2pi)/60 seconds to get 1378.5 rad/s (which is 'w', right)? but change in 'w' from 0-1378.5 / change in 't' from 0-1.01s isn't right.
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The listed answer makes no sense. Are you stating the problem completely?

angular acceleration problem

Thanks for responding. I found this problem on a site for practice problems (link listed below). I copied and pasted the question and answer directly from the page. I am confused.

www.dctech.com

I went to that site and looked at 3 problems. Only one gave the correct answer; two, gave goofy answers, just like the problem you presented. Forget it. (You may wish to complain to the site owners.)

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is increasing or decreasing.

2. How is angular acceleration related to rpms?

Angular acceleration and rpms, or rotations per minute, are directly related. As rpms increase, the angular acceleration also increases, meaning the object is rotating faster and its angular velocity is changing at a faster rate.

3. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is the angular acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and t is the time.

4. What are some real-world examples of angular acceleration with rpms?

Some examples of angular acceleration with rpms include the rotation of a car's tires, the spinning of a merry-go-round, and the swinging of a pendulum.

5. How does angular acceleration affect rotational motion?

Angular acceleration plays a crucial role in rotational motion, as it determines how quickly an object will change its rotational speed. The larger the angular acceleration, the faster the object will rotate, while a smaller angular acceleration will result in a slower rotation.