Angular Acceleration of Poll: Find the Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular acceleration and velocity of a pole attached to a wall. The correct equation to use is the parallel axis theorem and all parts of the pole have the same angular acceleration. However, when using energy conservation, one must be careful not to count kinetic energy twice. It is also important to consider where potential energy is measured from and the initial potential energy.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.
I got this poll which is at one side connected to a wall and is being released from a horizontal state.
his length is L and mass m.
I need to find the angular acceleration of the poll as a function of the angle.
I got this answer in the pic but according to them the answer should be what I marked in the red box.

Any idea? am I wrong?

10x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 370
Physics news on Phys.org
You are using the parallel axis theorem to find the rotational inertia, but 1/3mL² is the rotational inertia about the axis (what you need) not the center of mass.

Doc Al said:
You are using the parallel axis theorem to find the rotational inertia, but 1/3mL² is the rotational inertia about the axis (what you need) not the center of mass.

Oh, stupid me, 10x.

Another thing.
First of all, when they say this is the angular acceleration of the poll, does it mean the angular acceleration of the center of mass?
In the next part of the question, they ask for the angular velocity as a function of [tex]\varphi[/tex].
I tried to use energy conservation and came up with this equation:
[tex]mgL=mgL(1-1/2\cos(\varphi))+1/2 mv^2+1/2 I\omega^2[/tex]
When
[tex]v = \omega*(L/2)[/tex]

Is this right?

10x.

asi123 said:
First of all, when they say this is the angular acceleration of the poll, does it mean the angular acceleration of the center of mass?
All parts of the pole have the same angular acceleration.
In the next part of the question, they ask for the angular velocity as a function of [tex]\varphi[/tex].
I tried to use energy conservation and came up with this equation:
[tex]mgL=mgL(1-1/2\cos(\varphi))+1/2 mv^2+1/2 I\omega^2[/tex]
When
[tex]v = \omega*(L/2)[/tex]

Is this right?
Not exactly:
  1. Where are you measuring PE with respect to? (Where does PE = 0?) What's the initial PE?
  2. Since the angle is measured from the horizontal, revisit how the PE varies with angle.
  3. Be careful not to count KE twice. The pole can be considered to be in pure rotation about the pivot, so [itex]1/2 I\omega^2[/itex] represents the entire KE.

Doc Al said:
All parts of the pole have the same angular acceleration.

Not exactly:
  1. Where are you measuring PE with respect to? (Where does PE = 0?) What's the initial PE?
  2. Since the angle is measured from the horizontal, revisit how the PE varies with angle.
  3. Be careful not to count KE twice. The pole can be considered to be in pure rotation about the pivot, so [itex]1/2 I\omega^2[/itex] represents the entire KE.

Is this right?

Attachments

• scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 376
asi123 said:
Is this right?
Yes. That looks good.

10x.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time.

3. What is the equation for angular acceleration?

The equation for angular acceleration is α = (ω₂ - ω₁) / (t₂ - t₁), where α is angular acceleration, ω is angular velocity, and t is time.

4. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the radius of rotation. The linear acceleration can be found by multiplying the angular acceleration by the radius of rotation.

5. How is angular acceleration measured?

Angular acceleration is measured in units of radians per second squared (rad/s²) or degrees per second squared (°/s²).