1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular acceleration?

1. Oct 30, 2003 #1
    A rotating wheel requires 2.93 s to complete 37.0 revolutions. Its angular speed at the end of the 2.93 s interval is 97.1 rad/s. What is the constant angular acceleration of the wheel?

I know this should be easy. I'm just missing something. I figured 37 rev = 232 rad (=theta). Then I used the kinematic
    Theta(f) = Theta(i)+(omega)(i)t+(1/2)(alpha)(t^2). But somehow it isn't working out. I know the answer should be around 15 or so but I keep getting 120 rad/sec^2!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2003 #2

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can't use your initial equation directly because you don't know the initial velocity yet. Use ωf = (ωi) + α*t; to find ωi. Then you can plug that in to your other constant acceleration question to find α. If I did it correctly, the acceleration should come out closer to 10 rad/s

4. Oct 30, 2003 #3
    How can you use ùf = (ùi) + á*t to find ùi when you don't know what á is?

(alright well you know what those symbols should mean)

5. Oct 30, 2003 #4

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You solve for ωi in terms of α and plug it into the other equation. It's a system of 2 equations with 2 unknowns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?