1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Acceleration

Tags:
  1. May 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-5-3_23-2-18.png
    upload_2016-5-3_23-14-9.png
    upload_2016-5-3_23-3-9.png

This is not really a question on how to solve the problem, I'm just trying to get clarification on something. For angular acceleration, α, can someone explain to me what αz is? And why does αz = α / R = αy? I understand the rest of the problem, I just don't understand where or what αz is and how αz = α / R = αy. Thanks in advance for any help given!

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\alpha_z## apparently represents the angular acceleration for rotation about the z-axis.
    The print in the picture is small and hard to read. In equation (2) I think it states that ## \alpha_z = \large \frac{a}{R}##, not ##\alpha_z = \large \frac{\alpha}{R}.##

4. May 3, 2016 #3
    Ohhh, you're right about the a/R not α/R. But can you explain to me why does a/R = ay?

5. May 3, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They aren't claiming that a/R = ay.

The R cancels: (1/2)MR(a/R) = (1/2)May. The "a" on the left is the same as ay.

6. May 3, 2016 #5
    Ok I see. And just to clarify, if I divide a linear acceleration by the radius R then we get angular acceleration?

Nvm! Figured it out. Thank yoooou! :)

Last edited: May 3, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted