How Can This Angular and Linear Vector Concept Be Simplified?

In summary: But it's not the only way.Originally posted by StephenPrivitera Yes. The velocity vector v is perpendicular to the postion vector r. I think that you're confusing the radial component of the velocity vector with the radial component of the position vector.
StephenPrivitera
The "x" means cross product

v=w x r
This is the tangential velocity.
So, a=(dw/dt) x r+w x (dr/dt)
(dw/dt) x r is the tangential acceleration
w x (dr/dt) is the radial (centripetal acceleration)

I learned this from class.

But where is the radial velocity?

If we write s=T x r, then
v=w x r+T x (dr/dt)
Can T x (dr/dt) be interpreted as radial velocity?

Now a=(dw/dt) x r + w x (dr/dt) + w x (dr/dt) + T x (d2r/dt2)
=(dw/dt) x r + 2w x (dr/dt) + T x (d2r/dt2)
Through a little geometry, I can show that dr/dt=w x r
So, a=(dw/dt) x r + 2w x (w x r) + T x (d(w x r/dt)
=(dw/dt) x r + 2w x (w x r) + T x ((dw/dt) x r + w x (w x r))

First question: have I violated physics and mathematics at once?
Second question: can I simplify this? (I don't know the distributive/associative properties of "x")
Third question: What do each of these terms signify? (ie, cent. accel, tang. accel, etc)
Fourth question: What exactly is this vector T?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by StephenPrivitera
The "x" means cross product

v=w x r
This is the tangential velocity.
So, a=(dw/dt) x r+w x (dr/dt)
(dw/dt) x r is the tangential acceleration
w x (dr/dt) is the radial (centripetal acceleration)

I learned this from class.

But where is the radial velocity?

I don't understand your question. v is velocity and can be resolved into whatever components you like. For example: if the motion is an ellipse in a plane then you can write the velocity in terms of polar coordinates as

v = vrer + vthetaetheta

where

er = unit vector in the radial direction
etheta = unit vector in tangential direction

vr = radial velocity
vtheta = tangential velocity

Pete

Ok, pmb, it's possible that I'm talking nonsense, so bear with me. But according to what I have written v=w x r the velocity must be perpendicular to the radial vector r. It must also be perpendicular to w. If you are considering an ellipse, the velocity is not always perpendicular to the radial vector. There is an additional component. Also, I am trying very hard to stay in rectangular coordinates. I have already seen this development in polar.

Originally posted by StephenPrivitera
Ok, pmb, it's possible that I'm talking nonsense, so bear with me. But according to what I have written v=w x r the velocity must be perpendicular to the radial vector r. It must also be perpendicular to w. If you are considering an ellipse, the velocity is not always perpendicular to the radial vector. There is an additional component. Also, I am trying very hard to stay in rectangular coordinates. I have already seen this development in polar.

Yes. The velocity vector v is perpendicular to the postion vector r. I think that you're confusing the radial component of the velocity vector with the radial component of the position vector.

Try this. Write r as

r = rer

Now take the time derivative of this equation and simplify it.

Try to use polar coordinates. I know that its hard switching since you're used to Cartesian coordinates. But its well worth the effort. To aid you in this notice that

er = cos(theta)i + sin(theta) j
etheta = -sin(theta)i + cos(theta) j

I think that if you do this as an exercise then you'll find the answer to some of your questions.

Pete

s=r=rer
ds/dt=retheta+vrer
I agree that this velocity expresses both tangential and radial components.
But...
Ok, one step at a time.
Is it true that the angular velocity always points along the axis of rotation?

You could use the generic formula for generating a component along another vector:

r<v,r>/|r|

Where <,> is the dot product and || is the norm.

For a particle traveling in a circle (where your other formula holds) this is always zero since <v,r> is zero when v and r are perpendicular to each other.

Ok, if we can answer this, I'll be happy. How can we show that ds/dt=retheta+vrer is equivalent to ds/dt=w x r?
EDIT: To support my reasoning: When we continue with the polar coordinates by differentiating to find acceleration, a "Coriolis" force term appears, in addition to some other term that I don't understand. When we differentiate v=w x r we get no such terms.

Last edited:
I agree that this velocity expresses both tangential and radial components.
You made an error. Try doing it again. This time be more careful when you apply the chain rule.
Is it true that the angular velocity always points along the axis of rotation?
Actually that is one way the term axis of rotation can be defined.

Pete

s=r=rer
ds/dt=rwetheta+vrer
Even better.
I'm NOT crazy (Don't make yourself look stupid Stephen)...
v=w x r
Suppose w=wk and r=xi+yj+zk.
v=w x r =-w(yi+xj)
If we convert ds/dt=rwetheta+vrer into rectangular coordinates, then we get (let me use T for theta)
v=rw(-sinTi+cosTj)+vr(cosTi+sinTj)
If for the first term you factor out a negative and distribute the "r" and keep in mind that x=rcosT and y=rsinT, then
v=-w(yi+xj)+vr(cosTi+sinTj)
Now this disagrees with v=w x r. This verifies my belief that w x r is only the tangential velocity.

Any mistakes?

Any mistakes?
Yes.

You have

w = wk and r = xi + yj + zk

wxr = (wk)x(xi + yj + zk)

= wx(kxi) + wy(kxj) + wz(kxk)

Note that -

kxi = j
kxj = -i
kxk = 0

Thus

wxr = wxj- wyi = w(-yi + xj)

Pete

Correction

v=rw(-sinTi+cosTj)+vr(cosTi+sinTj)
If for the first term you factor out a negative and distribute the "r" and keep in mind that x=rcosT and y=rsinT, then
v= -w(yi-xj)+vr(cosTi+sinTj)

Yes, yes. I had that written down. I must have transferred it wrong. In any event, I made another mistake. The sign in front of "xj" is negative. Thus, my argument stands. By converting to rectangular we find,
v=rwetheta+vrer=w x r + vrer

1. What is the difference between angular and linear vectors?

Angular vectors represent the direction and magnitude of rotation, while linear vectors represent the direction and magnitude of straight-line motion.

2. How are angular and linear vectors related?

Angular and linear vectors are related through the concept of torque, which is the product of the angular vector and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force.

3. What are some examples of angular and linear vectors in real life?

Examples of angular vectors include the rotation of a bicycle wheel or the spinning of a top. Examples of linear vectors include the motion of a car or the flight path of a plane.

4. How are angular and linear velocity related?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity is the rate of change of linear displacement. The two are related through the radius of rotation, with angular velocity being equal to linear velocity divided by the radius of rotation.

5. Can a vector be both angular and linear?

No, a vector can only represent one type of motion. However, some physical systems may require both angular and linear vectors to fully describe their motion, such as a spinning top that also moves in a straight line.